cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
websterwigs
Level 1

I sell goods to Non-VAT registered customers in EC member states therefore I use the standard 20% tax code, however how do I get these to be calculated for box 8?

6 REPLIES 6
Kristine Mae

I sell goods to Non-VAT registered customers in EC member states therefore I use the standard 20% tax code, however how do I get these to be calculated for box 8?

Hello there, Websterwigs.

Once a customer is not VAT-registered, you use 0.0% ECG. The net sale will show to box 6 & 8. You can refer to this article for more information: Common VAT Codes.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to let us know. 

websterwigs
Level 1

Hi Kristine,

This is not correct as we have to charge 20% VAT on orders to Non-Vat registered customers in EC member states, so the code should not be 0.0%.

This is what it says on the Gov.uk website:

How to charge VAT to someone in another EU country

If you sell goods or services to someone who is not VAT-registered in another EU country, you must charge VAT in the normal way, just as you would for a UK customer. You include the sale in your VAT Return for the period when the tax point takes place.

websterwigs
Level 1

Hi again Kristine,

I have just been doing some more research into this and it looks like box 8 is only for VAT-registered companies in the EU. If the customer is not Vat-registered they are treat just like a sale in the UK and the net value only goes into box 6 will all your other sales.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your help!

Kristine Mae

Hello again, Websterwigs.

The code I provided is specifically for the not VAT-registered in an EC Member State. The article I attached above will provide you the different EC VAT codes. I'd suggest consulting your tax adviser on what VAT code to use. 

Though, we're just here if you have other concerns. 

websterwigs
Level 1

Hi Kristine,

Using that code for EU customers that are not Vat-registered does not make sense as using that code will then enter the sale amount into box 8. However reading online only sales to Vat-registered companies in the EU should be entered into box 8?

Kristine Mae

Hey, Websterwigs.

From the article about VAT codes, box 8 is for non-VAT registered customers. However, to know better about these codes, I'd suggest reaching out to your government agency. 

We're just around if you have more questions. Have a good one! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us