cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
blazeitondeliver
Level 1

How do you generate a report by payment method? I am trying to get separate totals for all my methods of payment however, it is not generating a report

3 Comments 3
JenoP

How do you generate a report by payment method? I am trying to get separate totals for all my methods of payment however, it is not generating a report

I'll show you how you can generate a report by payment methods, blazeitondeliver.

You can customize the Transaction Detail by Account report and include a column for Payment Method. Please follow these steps:

1. Go to the Reports menu and look for Transaction Detail by Account.
  2. Click Customize in the upper-right hand corner.
  3. Scroll down to the Filter section and check the box for Payment Method.
  4. You can also go to Rows/Columns section and uncheck the unnecessary columns. 
  5. Click the drop-down list for Group by and select Payment Method.
  6. Click Run Report

Just in case you can't see the Payment Method column after customizing the report, click the small Gear icon in the upper-right hand corner. Then, check the Payment Method box.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions. 

customize.PNG

customize 2.PNG

customize 3.PNG

customize 4.PNG

customize 5.PNG

Darling_electrique
Level 1

Hey there!

How come I don't have this "Transaction detail by account" report available in all the reports offered. Is there an option that I have to activate somewhere or another way to produce the same kind of report?

Thanks!

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello Darling_electrique,

Welcome! And thanks for joining in on this thread. The method described above is a great option for running a report where you can see payment details. Going through the report list in the Reports tab is a good step to take when you're not seeing it using the search bar. Since you're still not seeing it, I have an idea of what might be going on.

The Transaction Detail by Account report is available in QuickBooks Online Essentials and Plus package accounts. Seeing as you're not finding it, it's likely that you have a QuickBooks Online EasyStart account, which doesn't have this report. You can review all available reports and what account levels have them with this handy chart: What are the differences in report features among QuickBooks Online subscriptions?

Luckily, there are other reports that you can customize to show a Payment Method column, such as the Transaction List by Date report or even the Invoices and Payments Received report. For those reports, there isn't a way to group the transactions by payment method like shown above, but you can consider exporting a report to Excel to rearrange the data as you need.

I recommend reviewing the various reports in the program to see if there's one that best fits your needs. You can learn more about report customization here: Customize reports in QuickBooks Online

If having more options to customize your reports is important to you, upgrading to Essentials or Plus may be a good solution for you. This article goes over how you can upgrade your plan if you're interested: Upgrade your QuickBooks Online subscription

Take care and don't hesitate if you have more questions!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us