cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confused423
Level 1

Invoices showing up as an expense

When I run a 51400 transaction detail by account, it has 40000 invoices included. Where do I go back and correct?
3 Comments 3
QBsguru
Level 7

You have to go back to your item list.  You have the items set-up incorrectly.  Either you are pointing invoice items to an expense account or you are using the same items on both bills and invoices.  If the second is the case, you need to set this up as a double sided item.  Check of the box on the item that reads this items is used in assembles or performed by a subcontractor.

The box will then split and you can assign an expense account as well as an income account.  When prompted say YES to changing existing transactions.

DebC-TSB
Level 3

Hi,

I like purchase orders. It's handy to take an estimate and convert it to a PO for subcontractor. However, it's not so pretty when the bills or checks show up in the "Income section", the top half of the income statement.  Other than journal entry to kill the bills, checks.. is there any way to fix how the purchase orders affect the income? 

Why wouldn't it just show up in the COGs account as edited in the item setup?

For instance, I create an estimate for $1,000. Custom Coffee Table.

I have subcontractor who will do it for $500.

Item setup -- two sided.  INCOME = coffee table income; COG is Sub-labor

create a po for $500.

write a check or enter a bill for $500

invoice customer for $1,000

P&L shows $500 in the income portion and $0 in expense/cog.

Why? Because PO bills and checks post in the "income" portion of the P&L.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Deb C

MirriamM

Thanks for joining the thread, DebC-TSB,

Allow me to get the help you need to ensure that the invoice will be posted in Cost of Goods Sold (COGS).

Before editing the invoice, it wasn't posted to COGS. So now that it's been edited it still didn't shows up.

To get this resolved, you can delete and recreate the invoice. To delete the invoice, here's how:

1. Click Customers, and then Customer Center.
  2. Click the customer's name, then click the Transactions tab.
  3. Locate the invoice you want to delete, then double-click to open.
  4. Click the X icon at the top to Delete.
  5. Click OK when prompted.

Once done, kindly check if your transactions was accounted properly.

Please let me know how it goes. You can always count on me in managing your account. Have a great day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us