cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamiec3320
Level 1

Setting up a DBA under existing S-Corp

I own a pet salon and use QB desktop. My husband is just starting out as an independent barber and I wanted to set him up in my QB as a dba.  Can I setup an income “line” item to capture his income separate from mine or should I setup a separate company file for him? Will QB accept income from another bank account and know where to put it?  Bottom line is I want to be able to separate his income from mine for better income and expense reporting and I just want to use one EIN as an umbrella for both businesses.  I’m not that proficient with QB so I hope I’ve explained this well enough for someone to assist me.  Thank you in advance.

Solved
Best answer April 07, 2019

Best Answers
Rustler
Level 15

@Jamiec3320 wrote:

I own a pet salon and use QB desktop. My husband is just starting out as an independent barber and I wanted to set him up in my QB as a dba.  Can I setup an income “line” item to capture his income separate from mine or should I setup a separate company file for him? Will QB accept income from another bank account and know where to put it?  Bottom line is I want to be able to separate his income from mine for better income and expense reporting and I just want to use one EIN as an umbrella for both businesses.  I’m not that proficient with QB so I hope I’ve explained this well enough for someone to assist me.  Thank you in advance.

Each business needs its own set of books, so if you use QBO, that means another subscription.

If the dba company was doing business selling what your s-corp sells (pet grooming), that would be a different thing

Each business also files its own tax return too, even if a sole proprietor, one schedule C for each business.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Rustler
Level 15

@Jamiec3320 wrote:

Each business needs its own set of books, so if you use QBO, that means another subscription.

If the dba company was doing business selling what your s-corp sells (pet grooming), that would be a different thing

Each business also files its own tax return too, even if a sole proprietor, one schedule C for each business.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us