cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unapplied Bill Payment Check

I have begun to use my banks Bill pay system instead of writing checks in QB Desktop and I did not realize that when you downloaded the transactions you not only needed to select the vendor you were paying but also had to select the specific bill that the payment applied to before accepting the transaction.  Now I have the check applied to the vendor so the balance is ok but the bills don't show as paid so they keep coming up on the unpaid list.  Is there a way to link the ckeck to the bill after download.  Some have told me the only way is to delete the check and then pay the bill again without printing the check - this creates problems for the bank recs.  Can anyone help?

4 Comments 4
AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, SwTrinity.

I'd be happy to help you apply the bill payment check to the right bill.

I agree with you. I also wouldn't recommend deleting the check since it may cause a discrepancy when you try to reconcile the transaction. That said, an easy way to resolve this is to simply open the Bill Payment Check and apply it to the right bill. Here's how:

1. From the Vendors menu, choose Vendor Center.
  2. Select the vendor's name.
  3. In the Transactions tab, double-click the check (Bill Pmt-Check).
  4. Check the correct bill in the Bills Paid In This Transaction section
  5. Click Save & Close. If you receive a warning from QuickBooks, just select Yes.

For future reference, I'm also including this article: Pay bills in QuickBooks Desktop

That should do it. With these resources, I'm confident that you'll be all set with your bills in no time!

Keep in touch if there's anything else I can help you with. I've always got you covered. Thanks for dropping by, wishing you and your business all the best.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The solution you suggested to apply a payment to a bill did not work because the payments that were downloaded via webconnect were classified as checks not bill Pmt-Check (this class applies when you use QB to print the check or assign a check number but do not print).  I need a way to change the type from check to bill-Pymt Check - then possibly I could use the solution you suggest.  How can a edit a check transaction?  When I double click the check all it shows is the check and that it has cleared the bank - hence why I don't want to delete the check and re-enter as a bill-pmt check.  Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The solution you suggested to apply a payment to a bill did not work because the payments that were downloaded via webconnect were classified as checks not bill Pmt-Check (this class applies when you use QB to print the check or assign a check number but do not print).  I need a way to change the type from check to bill-Pymt Check - then possibly I could use the solution you suggest.  How can a edit a check transaction?  When I double click all it shows as a check and that it has cleared the bank - hence why I don't want to delete the check and re-enter as a bill-pmt check.  Any help is appreciated.
RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

You're right, SwTrinity.

The option to change a check transaction into Bill Payment Check is unavailable. Since the downloaded payments were classified as checks, you can remove them in the Transaction List window on the Bank Feeds Center.

Here's how:

1. Click Banking on the top menu.
  2. Choose Bank Feeds, then click Bank feeds Center.
  3. Choose the bank account.
  4. Click Transaction List.
  5. Select the appropriate transaction and from the Action drop-down, select Ignore to remove a single transaction.
  6. To remove multiple transactions at one time, on the Transactions list window, put a checkmark on the box column.
  7. Select the Batch Actions drop-down and choose Ignore.

Once done, apply the Bill Payment Check in QuickBooks. Just follow the steps and details in this article: Pay bills in QuickBooks Desktop.

I found a helpful article for more details about adding and matching Bank Feed transactions: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/Add-and-match-Bank-Feed-transactions/m-p/20375....

Feel free to reply to this thread if you need anything else. I'd be glad to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us