cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfrank
Level 1

Closing Date and user access

When I changed the closing date from December 31st to February 28th, users without full access could not post bills.  I had to change it back to December 31st in order for them to work.  What am I doing wrong?

3 Comments 3
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, jfrank.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us. I'm here to help share some information about setting up closing date in QuickBooks. 

Since QuickBooks Desktop does not require to close books as part of year-end procedures, you have an option to limit the access to close accounting period by setting up a closing date and close date password

Once you change the date in QuickBooks, your user can only add bills after the closing date you've set up. For example, if the closing date is 4/4/2019, they can no longer create transactions before the closing date. 

For additional reference, you can check this article: Set, change or remove closing date and closing date password

Please know that I'm just a post away if you have additional question about the closing date. Have a good day. 

Toby-1
Level 1

We are running QB Enterprise 19.0 and we have set a closing date of 12/31/2018 we have Accounts Payable users who are able to create new transactions and then change the date till before the closing date.  That does not make sense to me, is the closing date form the created/edited date or for the date for the bill?  Please advise which field is being used?

Kristine Mae

Let me ease your confusion, Toby-1.

QuickBooks will recognize the transaction date. Having said that, it will recognize the bill's date. 

I've got a handy article for future reference: Close your books in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you have more questions, we're just a comment away. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us