cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
jmkentel
Level 3

Is there a way to have payroll show on Bank account as the total?

We started using a bank service that auto deposits our payroll into our employees' accounts.  QB shows each individual cheque in the bank reconciliation but the bank does a lump sum.  Can I somehow bundle the total of payroll to show the same way?  It is cumbersome to click on every payroll and then make sure it totals what the bank took out, and make notes for the accountant.

2 Comments 2
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hi jmkentel,

Great job with the process you're using at this point of checking off the individual transactions and verifying they equal the total sum from your bank statement. However, I can see how clicking through each one and keeping track of the math could take some time, especially if you have many employees to go through.

QuickBooks Desktop separates each cheque into individual transactions for record-keeping purposes. While I hear what you're saying about having those transactions total to a lump sum that you can more easily reconcile, QuickBooks needs to keep them separated to properly track the data throughout the program. Here's what I recommend.

When you're doing your reconciliation, try tackling the payroll transactions first or leave them until the very end so you can see the difference between the starting and ending balances more clearly. For instance, if you leave them until the end and the difference left over is the lump sum, then you're probably good to go with the individual payroll transactions adding up to that amount. You can always verify the first few times just to be sure, but clicking through each one to bring the difference to zero will confirm this as well.

I hope that helps! I'll be here if you need anything else.

impossible
Level 6

I have a similar process where we use a Payroll Service to auto deposit  auto deposit to our employees. Here's what I do: I created a Bank type account in my COA called Payroll Clearing. Each PP, individual paycheques are created in QB using the Payroll Clearing Bank account. This info is then uploaded to our Payroll Service. When the Payroll Service withdraws the funds from our Bank Account, I use the Write Checks function, Payable to the Payroll Service for the Payroll amount plus Services Charges. Memorize the check for future use. See screenshot below.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us