cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joyce3453
Level 1

how to set up clergy housing in payroll

How do I set up clergy housing allowance in payroll in Quickbooks Pro 2018?

3 Comments 3
Rose-A

Welcome to the Community, Joyce3453.

I'd be happy to help you set the clergy housing allowance via QuickBooks Desktop.

I can provide you with easy steps on how to set up the clergy housing allowance. 

Here's how:

1. Choose Lists > Payroll Item List.
  2. Select the Payroll Item button and select New.
  3. Select Custom Setup and click Next.
  4. Under Payroll Item Type, select Addition and select Next.
  5. Enter a name for the item (for example, Clergy Housing) and select Next.
  6. If applicable, change the expense account from Payroll Expenses to something else. Select Next.
  7. To select the Tax Tracking Type, use the chart below. If you have any questions, consult an accountant or payroll professional. Select Next.
  8. Taxes default based on the Tax Tracking Type you selected in the previous window. Select Next.
  9. For Calculate Based on Quantity, select Neither and select Next. For Gross vs. Net, select Gross and select Next.
  10. If you want, enter the Default Rate and Limit now. You can also select the employee's rate and limit when the item is added to the employee profile.
  11. Hit Finish.

You can now add this payroll item to your employee's profile.

This article is a good reference: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1763337-set-up-a-clergy-housing-allowance.

Fill me in if you need more help with setting up clergy housing allowance. I'm here to lend a hand.

TheBridge
Level 1

What if the Housing is In Kind?  Don't I need to set up a deduction as well?  So it goes on to check for taxability (Social Security and Medicare) and then out because it is just In Kind compensation?

PreciousB

Thanks for joining this conversation, TheBridge.

Yes, you still need to set up Clergy Housing-in-kind to pay or report PIT exempt and SECA reportable allowances.

You can follow the steps shared by my colleague RoseMarjorieA to set up Clergy Housing-in-kind. Just make sure to select the appropriate tax tracking type (step 8).

These payments can range in taxability and setup. Please refer to the clergy housing article for the tax tracking items. You can also ask your accountant for more specific directions.

Should you select None as tax tracking type, please note that it does not show on any tax forms, including the employee's W-2 forms.

If you need any assistance, let me know and I'm here to help you out. I hope to see you around more often.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us