Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Duckworthlynn
Level 1

My buisness income is showing as an expense

3 REPLIES 3
MaryLurleenM

Hello there, Duckworthlynn,

Is this transaction downloaded from your connected bank account? If so, you'll need to contact your bank directly to check if there's an error on their end.

If this transaction is imported via .CSV file, you'll need to check the file again. Credit amounts should be positive, while debit amounts should be negative. Delete the imported file and re-import it.

Here's how: 

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Select Imports.
  3. Choose the imported .CSV file.
  4. Click the Trash icon to delete all the transactions imported.

I’ll be here if you need further assistance.

alanjkirkham
Level 1

I had the same problem and contacted the bank - guess what they blamed Quickbooks:( any way I can manually change a debit to a credit?

Alan

ReyJohn_D

Yes, you can, @alanjkirkham.

I've got two options to ensure you can see the correct imported CSV data.

First, please make sure to use the correct CSV format when importing your file. This way, you don't need to edit or change them manually in QuickBooks.

You've got two choices to achieve this. The first one is the 3 columns format wherein expenses should be a negative value while the deposits need to be a positive amount. The other one is the 4 column format wherein you'll need to select the debit and the credit sides respectively.

If all the necessary formatting and mapping are correct, then you're all good. Once done, you can re-import the said file into QuickBooks: Manually import CSV into QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Second, you can manually edit the said file (from debit to credit amounts) if you've already imported it into QBO. Since you're unable to change them directly, you'll need to exclude these entries. Here's how:

1. Go to the Transactions menu, and then select the transactions you'll want to exclude so the correct credit amount will show.
  2. Click the Exclude checkbox, and then select Save.
    d8.PNG

When you're ready, you can begin categorizing your transactions to ensure they're accounted for correctly and prevent any duplicates. To speed up this process, you can use bank rules.

You can count on me if you have additional questions about managing your transactions or banking in QBO. I'd be glad to help you some more. Take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us