cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JenSilber
Level 1

ACH payment returned

I had an ACH payment returned because I entered the account number incorrectly.  Upon noticing  I reprocessed the transaction, unfortunately I cant figure out how to remove the original transaction. Now it is looking like the payment was processed twice and the customers balance is negative. Please help! 

5 Comments 5
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

ACH payment returned

Thank you for adding a post here in the Community space, @JenSilber.

I'm here to help ensure that your ACH payment returned is handled correctly.

If the money was already deposited to the bank, there's no option to delete it, however, you can create a deposit to offset the amount. If there's no money taken out, you can either void/delete the transaction.

That should help you handle the transactions correctly, if you need further assistance with the process, you can always check it with our Merchant Support Team.

For your future reference about handling rejected bank transfer payment, you may check this article: Handle a rejected or failed bank transfer payment.

Our doors are always open here in the Community space, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other QuickBooks and payments concerns. I'll be happy to help you!

Dawn07
Level 1

ACH payment returned

One of my customers used the ACH option to pay for their invoice in quickbooks desktop enterprise version 22. It came through our bank as insufficient funds.  How do I rebill for the bounced check and record it correctly in Quickbooks?  I am unable to use the "Record bounced check option".

Thank you.

Dawn

LollyNino_C
QuickBooks Team

ACH payment returned

Hello there, @Dawn07

It's good to have you here in the Community. It'll be my pleasure to help you correct this bounced check issue.

Generally, bounced checks aren't supposed to show up as a credit on your customer's account. This is because QuickBooks will create a journal entry which credits your bank account and debits the Accounts Receivable (A/R) account. After this, the payment is removed from the invoice, which will be reopened. 

However, since it is showing as a credit, we can go ahead and delete it to correct the wrong amount. Just a heads up, make sure that you've recorded the payment your client has taken care of before doing the steps below.

To delete the bounced check:

1. From the Customers menu, choose Customer Center.
  2. Select the customer's name.
  3. Go to the Transactions tab.
  4. Click the Show drop-down menu located on top of the Type column, then select Received Payments.
  5. Double click the payment that you recorded as a bounced check.
  6. From the Edit menu, select Delete Payment.
  7. Hit Yes.

To delete the General Journal Entry:

1. From the Customers menu, choose Customer Center.
  2. Select the customer's name.
  3. Go to the Transactions tab.
  4. From the Show drop-down menu, choose All Transactions.
  5. Double click the General Journal.
  6. From the Edit menu, select Delete General Journal.
  7. Click Yes.

As mentioned, this transaction shouldn't show up as credit, so I'm going to include our guide on how to record bounced checks if you want to record it again.

Let me know here if there's anything else I can do to help you with. Thanks for dropping in, wishing you and your business continued success.

Dawn07
Level 1

ACH payment returned

Thank you for responding, however, this payment is not showing up as a credit.  I am not trying to correct an already recorded bounced check.  The customer used the ACH option to pay an invoice.  This form of payment was received by my bank account as insufficient funds. Normally when a check bounces there is an option to record it on the payment screen under the "Record Bounced Check".  However, for an Electronic payment from a checking account (ACH), it does not allow you to use the above option.  So how do I record an insufficient funds for an ACH??

Thank you.

Candice C
QuickBooks Team

ACH payment returned

Hey there again, @Dawn07

We appreciate you coming back here and letting us know some more insight into the problem. 

To be sure of how this should be recorded properly, I recommend contacting our Customer Support Team for further assistance. They've got more advanced tools to help you additional in this situation. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Help menu. 
  2. Choose to the QuickBooks Desktop Help option. 
  3. Click the Contact Us button.
  4. Give a brief description of the issue and tap Let's talk
  5. Scroll down and select to Get a callback

It's that simple! 

Let me know how it goes. I'm only a post away if you need me. Take care! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us