cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSMG
Level 2

Open Item Receipt with NO Bill Report

We are trying to find a report to help us locate open item receipts with no Bills.  Anymore, we receive the items but we don't receive a bill, or it doesn't get entered. The ladies in accounting said it would be so helpful to point directly to those item receipts with no bill and we could call the vendor to get the bill for end of month closing.

Thanks Michael

Solved
Best answer March 06, 2019

Best Answers
PreciousB

It's good to see you here in the Community, CSMG.

I can help you track the unbilled item receipts in QuickBooks Desktop.

While we don't have a specific report to show you these details, you can use the Bill Tracker to see the open items with no bills. Let me show you how:

1. Choose Vendors at the top, then select Bills Tracker.
  2. Select Item Receipt beside Type (check out the screenshot below).
  3. Status should be Open.

image.png

Here's an article that about entering bills: Enter bills.

You can also press F1 and enter Bill Tracker to lean more about using this tool.

That should help you track the unbilled items. I hope this response finds you with a smile. I'm glad to provide further assistance should you have any questions. Take care.

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
PreciousB

It's good to see you here in the Community, CSMG.

I can help you track the unbilled item receipts in QuickBooks Desktop.

While we don't have a specific report to show you these details, you can use the Bill Tracker to see the open items with no bills. Let me show you how:

1. Choose Vendors at the top, then select Bills Tracker.
  2. Select Item Receipt beside Type (check out the screenshot below).
  3. Status should be Open.

image.png

Here's an article that about entering bills: Enter bills.

You can also press F1 and enter Bill Tracker to lean more about using this tool.

That should help you track the unbilled items. I hope this response finds you with a smile. I'm glad to provide further assistance should you have any questions. Take care.

CSMG
Level 2

This is perfect.  THank you

annetownsend88
Level 1

How do you "delete" an Item Receipt that is 'locked' in a previous year?  The Item Receipt was entered into QB, but there was never a 'bill' that was received against the receipt.  Therefore how do I delete this??

JenoP

The steps to delete an Item Receipt are still the same, annetownsend88.

However, you'll need to enter the password that was created when the year was closed. You'll get a prompt that the transaction you're deleting is part of a closed period. 

We would also recommend reaching out to your accountant before deleting it. It will still affect last year's Balance Sheet or other financial report  even if a bill was not created for the Item Receipt. Follow these steps on how to delete it:

1. Go to the Vendor Center and proceed to the Transactions tab.
  2. Select Item Receipts and change the Date filter to Last Year or Last Fiscal Year.
  3. Double-click on the Item Receipt to open it.
  4. Click the Delete button and select OK to confirm that you want to delete it. 

Add a reply below if you have follow-up questions or if you need additional assistance when editing old transactions. 

TCon
Level 1

The best way to view open item receipts that need to be matched to the corresponding bill yet, is by going to Reports>Purchases>Purchase by Vendor Detail. You can then customize the report and filter it by Transaction Type in the filter tab and choose Item Receipt in the drop down. This will display all item receipts for your selected date range. These will all be open since they are converted to bills once they are matched and entered.

PatrickM2
Level 1

I used this technique to help clear some old Item Receipt transactions where the invoice was not matched up. The problem is that when you select the transaction then "Delete" any Builds that were processed utilizing that inventory item or items goes to Mark As Pending which really goofs up inventory. Any suggestions?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

I'd like to explain some more on why your inventory goofs up when deleting an item used on a transaction in QuickBooks, @PatrickM2.

In QuickBooks Desktop, you can only delete an item if it's not associated with a transaction. Eliminating an item that is used on an entry (invoiced or not) will mess up your inventory since it was applied to the transaction that you've created.

Know that the item used on the receipt will add up to your inventory since the entry has been voided. 

To properly deal with this situation, I recommend consulting your accountant. This is to ensure the right course of action for your business and keep your records accurate. Especially if you're dealing with old transactions, wherein the books have been closed or reconciled.

Lastly, I'm also adding these handy links for your guide with QuickBooks Inventory in case you need them in the future:

Feel free to let me know if you have other questions. I'll be more than happy to answer them for you. Have a nice day!

Operations_Monkey
Level 3

Personally I use purchases by Vendor Detail (Reports -> Purchases -> Purchases by Vendor Detail) and then filter Transaction Type to just Item Receipts and change the date to All (default is This Month-to-Date).

This allows me to see all item receipts that don't have bills associated with them. I try to check this regularly before we do our check runs so I can see if any bills were missed.

MonicaM3

Thanks for sharing your workflow @Operations_Monkey

We appreciate you taking the time to be a part of the Community! Please feel free to drop in any time if we can help with any questions or to provide answers for others. 

Take Care!

BGNF
Level 1

During the time when we were upgrading from QB Desktop Pro 2019 to QB Desktop Pro 2021.  We had a few "Item Receipt" that did not get matched to a received vendor bill.  The bill was paid without attaching the "item receipt".  What is the best way to get rid of the "item receipt" without messing up our accounts payable or our inventory?  Thank you BGNF 

MaryLandT

Thank you for joining this thread, BGNF.

You can leave those item receipts since you've already paid those bills. Deleting them will affect your inventory and accounts payable.

If not, you can delete the payment and link again the item receipt before paying the bill.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Vendor Center and proceed to the Transactions tab.
  2. Find the bill payment and open it.
  3. Click the Delete button and select OK to confirm that you want to delete it.
  4. Once done, link the item receipt to the bill when you record the payment.

I'm adding this article to see workflows and vendor-related transactions: Accounts Payable workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

Let me know if there's anything else you need by commenting below. I'm always right here to help manage your item receipts. 

TCon
Level 1

An item receipt is in fact a posting transaction. Your balance sheet is affected. Both inventory and accounts payable will increase from an item receipt as you receive inventory through this procedure in quickbooks. If there is an open item receipt in prior periods, and the link to the corresponding bill has been broken, you will want to make sure that you take account of your inventory value and accounts payables before you delete anything in case it affects those accounts.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us