cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milibrli
Level 2

QuickBooks message "The company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of QuickBooks. Please upgrade your copy of QuickBooks."

I have QB premier 2017, my accountant send me premier-accountant 2017 qbw version, but a pop up warning showed up" the company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of QB. Please upgrade your copy of QB" Now I can't open the file. Help!

Solved
Best answer March 04, 2019

Best Answers
milibrli
Level 2

QuickBooks message "The company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of QuickBooks. Please upgrade your copy of QuickBooks."

Follow up: I had called QB customer service, and after waited almost one hour I got the answer: "use qbm instead qbw". Asked my accountant make a portable file and then open it on my QB, and the problem solved.

View solution in original post

38 Comments 38
Rustler
Level 15

some updates to the version will do that.  Ever notice that some updates when you start up the file again asks about formatting the data?  It would seem that the accountants version is more up to date than yours

The accountant should be sending you a qbb back up file, or an accountants file if you first sent him one.  not the qbw file

milibrli
Level 2

Ok, I'll ask him to send me a qbb file instead qbw to give it a try, thanks.

milibrli
Level 2

Follow up: I had called QB customer service, and after waited almost one hour I got the answer: "use qbm instead qbw". Asked my accountant make a portable file and then open it on my QB, and the problem solved.

BrandonT

I have also seen this when more than one version of QB is installed, albeit not very often. It may still be worth double-checking the version by

1. Opening the Product Info Window in QuickBooks Desktop by pressing F1 on your keyboard or Ctrl + 1
  2. Check the Product Information at the top of the window.

You can also check the QuickBooks Product grouping in Windows to see if there are any other versions of QuickBooks installed.

1. Locate your current QuickBooks Desktop by pressing the Windows logo Key and type in QuickBooks and select the year
  2. Once QuickBooks is open, select the file you wish to open and proceed as normal with logging in

BookemDanno
Level 2

You are correct and I thank you. I had 2018 and 2019 both installed(for back up) and I was trying to open a 2019 file in 2018

BookemDanno
Level 2

You are correct and I thank you. I had 2018 and 2019 installed and was trying to open a 2019 in 2018 by mistake(stressful day)

fcs659
Level 1

I have a similar issue and do not understand the previous replies. I have installed QuickBooks Pro 2016 today on my home laptop. I am trying to restore the data from an external hard drive for my payroll that I have at my office.

When I choose the backup copy on the hard drive to restore, it tells me I need to update to a newer version, so I have gone to the Help button, and updated the files.... still the same thing. Using the little windows picture and typing in QB etc. tell me I have the version I see.

I see there is something about qbb, qbw qbn files, but have no clue what that means.  Am I supposed to try and save these files somehow differently at my office....and if so, how do you do that? I seem to be travelling in circles ---- for the past hour & a half. Shouldn't this be just a smple "click?"

Where do I start?

Thanks for any advice!!

Jen_D

Thanks for letting us know about your concern, @fcs659,

I can share some information about the error you're getting when opening your company file.

You'll normally get the alert when you restore a company file to a version that's higher than the one you previously use. For example, you're using QuickBooks 2017, and you opened the file in 2018 or 2019 editions.

Make sure to check the correct version before restoring it. Since you downloaded 2016 on your laptop, the backup file should also have the same version to avoid the error. You can also check the version from the original location by opening the company file there and pressing F2 on your keyboard.

If you have a backup of your company file before it was updated, you can restore it using the steps below:

1. Click the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
  2. Choose Restore a backup copy then press Next.
  3. Select Local Backup then click Next.
  4. From the Look In drop-down, choose the backup file location.
  5. Locate the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
  6. Select Open then click Next.
  7. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location to save the restored file.
  8. Type a new file name in the File name field then click Save

Here are some extension you need to know:

• QBW - Working Files
  • QBB - Back Up Files
  • QBA - Accountants Copy Files
  • QBX - Accountants Transfer Files
  • QBY - Accountants Change Files

See this article to learn more about locating and identifying QuickBooks files: Company file is missing or cannot be found.

Message me back if you need further help. I'll be right here to assist you further. Have a nice day!

fcs659
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I can only follow this until #6 - SAVE.....I added some info to the saved name on the external hard drive I saved everything on yesterday at my office, clicked next, and then got a pop up box that says "The company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of Quickbooks. Please upgrade your copy of Quickbooks."

This is where I am stumped. My office computer is set for atuomatic updates, so I assume that is the newest version. I just finally figured out how to download the actual Quickbooks program into my laptop this morning, so shouldn't it be an even newer version?

When I was first tyring this, I did go to Help and had updates installed from what ever I downloaded to, I  guess, the current version of the program. There was a number of updates that were installed today.

Totally confused!!

Thanks!

Rejeil_O
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @fcs659.

Let me share with you my ideas to open your company file in QuickBooks Desktop account. You can go back to the QuickBooks Desktop version where your company file is created and open the file. Once done, update your company file as well your QuickBooks Desktop version manually.

Also, you weren't able to update the company file if you're using a different product. For example, if your company file was created in QuickBooks Desktop Pro version, you cannot update the file in the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise version.

Follow these steps on how to manually update your QuickBooks Desktop version. Here's how:

1. Close your company files and your QuickBooks Desktop account.
  2. Click the Windows Start icon.
  3. Search for QuickBooks Desktop.
  4. Right-click the icon and select Run as administrator.
  5. While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  6. Go to the Options tab.
  7. Select Mark All and then hit the Save button.
  8. Click the Update Now tab and choose the Reset Update checkbox.
  9. Select Get Updates.

Note: When the install finishes, restart your computer.

Once done, you can refer to this article for the steps on how to update your company file in your QuickBooks Desktop account: Upgrade your company files after switching to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop.

You can also visit our QuickBooks Desktop Help Article in case you'll need help updating the latest release patch in your account.

Fill me in if you need more help by leaving a comment below. I'll be around in the Community to help. Take care and have a great day!

fcs659
Level 1

Thank you for your reply, but I am not using QucikBooks Desktop. As I had indicatead in my original message,I am using QuickBooks Pro 2016...that is the version at my office, and that is the version I downloded from Quicken this morning.  When I search in the programs I find my version, but not the one you used.

However, I did try to follow your directions, using DeskTop Pro, but ended going in circles again, and back in the same place I was a half dozen or more times this morning, having to get the same updates.  I did all of that for the umpteenth time, restarted, but am still getting the "The Company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of QuickBooks. Please upgrade your copy, etc. "

Why does this not upgrade, what should I do? Is there somewhere else I can go for help?

All I want to do is transfer payroll infomation from my office to my home, I do not use regular QuickBooks at all, tried it a few times and it is too complicated, but was able to use the payroll portion. I just want to be able to see that one my home computer.

Thank you.

Rejeil_O
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back here in the thread, @fcs659.

I appreciate that you're following our suggested troubleshooting steps. However, let me add a solution that helps you resolve your concern. If the QuickBooks Desktop version you have in your home is QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2016, you can check the release update of both your office and home QuickBooks Desktop and it should be the same.

If they match and still the error persists, you can contact our QuickBooks Support since they have the screen shared tools that will easily assist you to fix your issue. Let me walk you through the steps on how to contact our support. Here's how:

Due to COVID-19, we have limited staffing and have reduced our support hours to 6 AM-6 PM PT Monday-Friday. We will resume normal hours as soon as possible.

1. Open QuickBooks your QuickBooks Desktop account.
  2. Go to Help, then select the QuickBooks Desktop Help tab.
  3. Click Contact Us.
  4. Enter your concern. Example: Can't open a company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
  5. Choose Continue.
  6. Choose a way to connect with us:
  • Start messaging with a support expert.
  • Get a callback from the next available expert.

Fill me in if you need more help by leaving a comment below. I'll be around in the Community to help. Take care and have a great day!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@fcs659 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I can only follow this until #6 - SAVE.....I added some info to the saved name on the external hard drive I saved everything on yesterday at my office, clicked next, and then got a pop up box that says "The company file that you are trying to open was created with a newer version of Quickbooks. Please upgrade your copy of Quickbooks."

This is where I am stumped. My office computer is set for atuomatic updates, so I assume that is the newest version. I just finally figured out how to download the actual Quickbooks program into my laptop this morning, so shouldn't it be an even newer version?

@fcs659 

It would be easier if you can open your data file on your office computer to verify its version. Hit f2 key or ctrl+1 to see the product info. 

fcs659
Level 1

Thank you, I will be there today and will try that.

fcs659
Level 1

Thank you again, that worked. Every printed thing I had showed a 2016 version, but apparently I had upgraded to the 2018 version at some point.

I was able, in just a few hours, to get the correct version downloaded and files transferred.

Kathryn130962
Level 1

I am using Quickbooks Pro 2012. I had a problem where I had to upgrade my computer to Windows 10. I had to install Quickbooks 2020 trial version just to help me through, I have now uninstalled it and still cannot open my Quickbooks 2012

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Kathryn130962 

Do you want to reinstall your QBD 2012 on a new machine running on Win 10 or upgrade to QBD 2020?

Kathryn130962
Level 1

I have reinstalled Quickbooks 2012 but cannot open my company file

Kathryn130962
Level 1

I have reinstalled quickbooks 2012 but cannot open my company file as it tells me to ungrade

FritzF

Thanks for joining this conversation, @Kathryn130962.

You're trying to open your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) 2012 in your Windows 10 computer, correct? If so, the reason why you're unable to do so is that this version of QBDT is not compatible with your current Operating System (OS).

Here are the versions that will work with QB:

• Windows 10 version 1809 (latest): QBDT 2020 is certified to work properly on version 1803 of Windows 10. Desktop 2018-2019 aren't fully certified yet. However, we aren't aware of any major issues preventing you from using QuickBooks on this version of Windows 10, so you shouldn't have any trouble.
  • Windows 10 version 1803: QBDT 2018-2020 are fully certified to work properly.
  • Windows 10 version 1709: QBDT 2018-2020 are fully certified to work properly.
  • Windows 10 version 1507, 1511, 1607, and 1703: If you are using the Home or Pro versions of Windows 10 versions 1507, 1511, 1607, and 1703, we recommend you update to the latest release of Windows 10. Microsoft has already discontinued support for these versions. See Windows Life-Cycle fact sheet for more details.

For more information, refer to this article: Which Windows 10 version works best for QuickBooks Desktop?

If you wish to upgrade to the 2020 version, consider checking out this article for further guidance: Upgrade to newer versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise.

Leave a comment in this thread if you have any other questions or concerns, and I'll get back to you right away. I'm always here to assist. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Kathryn130962 

Try reinstall and run your QBD 2012 on compatibility mode Win 7. 

Kathryn130962
Level 1

I have Windows version 1909. I am running 2 companies on Quickbooks Pro 2012. I am able to open the one company but not the other. I cannot seem to find the company on the computer. Can you please assist as this is the main company that I am looking for.

MarsStephanieL
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Kathryn130962.

Thank you for providing additional details about your concern. As my colleague @FritzF mentioned, this is caused by the incompatibility of your operating system and your QuickBooks Desktop version. To update to the latest version, here's how:

1. Sign in to Windows as an admin user.
  2. Download the latest version of QuickBooks, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
  3. Once done, open the newly installed QBDT and click Open or Restore Company or go to the File menu and pick Open or Restore Company.
  4. Tick the Open a company file and click Next.
  5. Locate the company file, then choose Open.
  6. Log in as admin and hit Update Now to start the upgrade.
  7. Once finished, select Done.

You can check out this article if you're using a subscription version to know how to upgrade: Upgrade to newer versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise.

If you're still not able to open your company file, you can follow the troubleshooting steps in this article: QuickBooks Desktop doesn't start or won't open.

You can always get back to let me know how it goes or if you have other concerns. I'd be happy to lend a helping hand. Have a beautiful day.

Linda5883
Level 1

Mars - I have a little bit of a similar situation, in that I had to work at home and use my company's version of QB:  2019.  I already have on my computer V. 2016, which I use for a different - very small - company.  I was told by the accountant not to upgrade v.2016 to v. 2019.  I did not and everything works.  My problem is that - I guess - when I installed V. 2019 I saved all the files to my Desktop.  Now I have 14 v. 2019 files on my desktop, showing in properties as D:.  My v. 2016 shows as filed in  OS C: Users/Public/Public Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files.  Is there any way I can change the file location for the QB 2019 files?  BTW, I prefer NOT to put them in my documents, due their size.  Thank you!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us