Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Paula Haulage
Level 1

Invoices

Hi everyone, newbie here and my first post. I will say that I am not a trained accountant, just helping the other half with his books. 

So I have set up quickbooks and transferred most things over but I have run into an issue. 

As we are a haulage company and use a lot of diesel (alot) the main company that we work with allows us to use their diesel cards and takes this amount out of the invoice we send them. 

1.The issue I have is that if I put the full amount of the invoice in it does not match what is on the bank statement. (invoice-minus the diesel is paid into the bank)

2. It messes with the VAT as we will be then claiming the VAT for the full amount of the invoice and not the amount we were paid. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Paula

1 REPLY 1
Amanda G
QuickBooks Team

Invoices

Hello Paula,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your question.

You can use the following process to record what we call recording Bank Charges but in this case its Fuel costs not bank charges.

You should already have an invoice created.
Mark this as paid in full but make sure it is deposited to un-deposited funds.
Once you have done this, Save and close and then you need to create your bank deposit.

Click on the Plus icon and then choose bank deposit.

At the bottom of the deposit once you have selected the funds you need to transfer from un-deposited to your bank account you need to create a line that reflects what has been deducted.
So you could use a fuel account make sure you use the customer as the "Received from" in the amount box you will then put a minus figure to show the funds were not received but actually deducted from the Deposited balance.

You can then save this transaction and this will then be correctly recorded so that the transaction will then match with the bank feed but also not leave an open balance on the customer's account.

Hope this helps and if you need anything else please do let us know.

Thank you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us