cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bethstokes
Level 1

selling company and need to transfer certain data to new owner

We are selling our business and would like to provide the new owner with certain information so that he does not have to manually enter the data into his company.  We want to provide him the customer information.  We would also like to give him the charge/invoice history for future reference if he has any questions about previous service costs, but we don't want this to mess up his running balances and such.  We didn't use a chart of accounts or any kind of vendor payment options.  We used QBO only to bill customers and post their payments, so it's not a lot of varied information.  And of course, we don't want to give him the banking info for our company.  Is there a way to provide this selected info?  Also, by doing so, will he be able to import the info into his existing company or will he have to create a second company, thereby keeping it separate from his existing portfolio of customers?  He isn't very familiar with QBO as his use is limited like ours.

10 Comments 10
Joyce_P
QuickBooks Team

Hi bethstokes,

Yes, you can provide the selected information to the new company owner. Regarding your second question, it depends on the new company owner if he'll import this information to his existing company file or he'll create a new QuickBooks Online company.

To export and import the selected information, please refer to this article: Export then Import List Data into QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you've additional questions by leaving a comment below. Have a good one!

Rustler
Level 15

@bethstokes wrote:

We are selling our business and would like to provide the new owner with certain information so that he does not have to manually enter the data into his company.  We want to provide him the customer information.  We would also like to give him the charge/invoice history for future reference if he has any questions about previous service costs, but we don't want this to mess up his running balances and such.  We didn't use a chart of accounts or any kind of vendor payment options.  We used QBO only to bill customers and post their payments, so it's not a lot of varied information.  And of course, we don't want to give him the banking info for our company.  Is there a way to provide this selected info?  Also, by doing so, will he be able to import the info into his existing company or will he have to create a second company, thereby keeping it separate from his existing portfolio of customers?  He isn't very familiar with QBO as his use is limited like ours.

In QB ALL you can do is export lists, no data, using the gear menu select export and choose the list to export.  The new owner, once they have a QBO account, can import those lists

Transactions do not transfer to a new owner, even if they could be exported.  You might give him what you are talking about as an excel file for reference.  If he could import your reference transactions, yes it would impact on his accounting, not what he would want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Joyce_P 

RE: "Yes, you can provide the selected information to the new company owner."

How will exporting and importing lists get the information the OP requested into a new company?  It doesn't seem like it will.

bethaccounting
Level 1

Hello, we did this. We bought a company and the previous owner gave us a Blank Company File from QB desktop. I can't seem to find any one through the support number that can help me remove his Intuit account as the admin on the file even though it is on our license. I have submitted multipe change of admins and the online team just rejects it and closes the case. Any help please!!!

Beth

ChristineJoieR
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Community page, @bethaccounting. We can transfer the master admin instead of removing the option.

Since removing the master admin access within the company in QuickBooks Desktop isn't possible, we can transfer it. 

Follow the steps below:

1. Sign in to Intuit Account User Management from a web browser or, in QuickBooks Desktop, go to the Company menu, then Users, and select Intuit Account User Management.
  2. Select the company files you like to transfer, then select Continue. (see more in the Set up and use Intuit account user management article)
  3. From the Users. Press the current primary admin, and choose Change primary admin from the Action column.
  4. Select the dropdown and choose which user to transfer the primary admin role too.
  5. Select the checkbox to verify the secondary admin. 
  6. Select Verify
  7. Sign in using your Intuit account info. 
  8. Confirm the invite by selecting OK.

Next, let the new primary admin accept the invite.

For further details, I'm adding this page for your additional guide: Transfer the primary admin role in QuickBooks Desktop.

Optionally, do you want to use two company files at a time? Feel free to open this article: Open a secondary company file in QuickBooks Desktop.

I'm still here if you are around if you need more insight into managing your user roles in QuickBooks Desktop. Have a nice day.

bethaccounting
Level 1

Thank you for sending. So the previous owner needs to log into their admin Intuit account and do this for us? For the company file that I am having issues with do we need to sign it into their Intuit account first so that it will show up in their company file list?

Thanks for your help!

Kurt_M
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back here in the thread, @bethaccounting.

If you're referring to the Intuit Account tied to the product license, please know that you won't be able to change or remove it since it's already paired with the previous owner's Intuit account the moment, they bought it.

However, if you're referring to the account tied to the company file, then yes, you're right. The previous owner should log in to the account so they can remove their Intuit Account and then add yours. Once done, you can proceed to take over the whole company file.

Moreover, I'll be adding this article to help you manage user roles inside QuickBooks Desktop: Create and manage users and roles in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.

You can also check this page to learn how you can create a backup copy of your company file: Back up your QuickBooks Desktop company file.

Feel free to visit the Community space if you have any additional QuickBooks-related concerns, @bethaccounting. I'll be here, ready to help out again. Stay safe!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@bethaccounting 

Another option, purchase a 3rd party password removal service. You will set a new Admin password to your file and connect it to your CAMPS later.

bethaccounting
Level 1

Okay, nothing is working and no one on the phone can help me. Now I am the primary admin of his whole Intuit Account but my email is still not the main email or the 2 step verification phone number. 

I only want my email to be the admin of the company file that the previous owner gave me. Why is this so hard.

jamespaul

Hello, bethaccounting.

I appreciate your time in getting back to us. I understand the frustration of changing the email address and phone number for your account. This is a sure miss, so I would like to turn the tables around and help you with the process. 

Have you tried going to the CAMPS portal as mentioned by Fiat Lux - ASIA? If not, you can change the email and the 2-step verification number from there. 

Here are the steps: 

1. Go to the CAMPS portal, then log in. 
  2. Click the Intuit Account button at the top-right corner of the screen. 
  3. The link will direct you to the Intuit Account Manager portal. Go to the Sign in & Security tab.
  4. Expand the User ID or the Email Address section, then change the email address. 
  5. Under Phone, change the number. If needed, we can also change the information in the 2-step verification section. 

When logging in to the CAMPS portal, you can try using the previous email address or your own if you're having issues signing in. The changes may not have been properly placed when you requested the primary admin change. 

However, if you're still having issues changing the information, or if you can't log in to the CAMPS portal, we'll want to give our support another shot.

We can use the same phone number. If you have an existing case number, we'll want to give it to the next available agent. This way, they would be able to read through the notes, so you won't start all over from square one. 

Their contact details can also be found in this article: Contact QuickBooks Desktop support (the option to contact them outside the product is also available). 

After successfully changing the information, do you also need help setting up your company file? I'll share this guide with you: Get started with QuickBooks Desktop

I'm all ears if you have questions or concerns about managing your Intuit account and information. If you encounter any difficulties while adding your entries or managing your lists, let me know and I'll help you out. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us