cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LLCurtis
Level 1

Subtotaling for Invoices

I would like to use the custom invoice import to be able to add subtotaling by category at the bottom of the invoice.  A best practice in our industry has the invoice layout like this:

Header Information

Line Item 1 Description:  Exhaust is leaking; removed, replaced, installed new....

Cost Item (Labor)

Cost Item (Part)

Cost Item (Consumable)

Line Item 1 Subtotal:

Line Item 2 Description:  Door hinge greased...

Cost Item (Labor)

Cost Item (Consumable)

Line Item Subtotal:

Subtotal Labor:

Subtotal Parts:

Subtotal Consumables:

Total:

I was trying to set up my product/service items with categories hoping that I could then subtotal them by category?  But I don't see any information in the available fields that can be indexed in the custom invoice template setup.  Is there any way to do this or something similar?

11 Comments 11
JamesDuanT

Subtotaling for Invoices

I appreciate the detailed information about your invoice layout, LLCurtis.

Even though we can import our own invoice layout, we still need to map the customized fields to QuickBooks. There's a possibility that the fields you add on the invoice template won't work in QuickBooks. 

Temporarily, you can customize the forms within QuickBooks to suit your business needs. You can check out this article for more information: How to Customize Invoices, Estimates, and Sales Receipts.

I'd also recommend sending feedback to our Product Development Team to add more fields when mapping invoice templates. They'll put your suggestion into consideration for future product updates. Here's how you can send your suggestions:

1. Click the Help menu in the upper-right corner.
  2. Select Feedback and follow the steps to submit it.

We always encourage you to share your ideas with us so we know where to focus the product enhancements.

You can always reach out to us if you need anything else.

FTech
Level 3

Subtotaling for Invoices

This is easily doable in the QuickBooks desktop editions using a 3rd party add-on like FormCalc SST for QuickBooks or CCRQInvoice. However, as yet I don't know of any add-on for QuickBooks Online which can accomplish the invoice layout you want.

JessT

Subtotaling for Invoices

Hi FTech,

We can achieve the style shown by LL Curtis if we create bundle items. We'll manually calculate the subtotals and write them in the Message on invoice box. However, for imported templates, we're unable to use bundles.

We can look for third-party applications that have this feature. Just click on the Apps menu in the left navigation bar and look for something like invoice template.

As stated by my colleague JamesDuanT, we can send a feature request for this through the Feedback option in QuickBooks.

Feel free to post again if you have other questions.

Have a good day!

FTech
Level 3

Subtotaling for Invoices

@JessT, is it possible to have three different categories (Labor, Parts, Consumables) subtotaled on a QuickBooks Online invoice? That is the most important part of what the OP is wanting (if I understand the auto repair business) and I don't think that can be accomplished with bundles.

I'm just a sometimes/casual QuickBooks Online user, so please tell me if I'm wrong--in fact, I'd be glad to be wrong on this one.

JessT

Subtotaling for Invoices

Hi again, FTech!

Sorry, I wasn't able to state that we're going to write the subtotals in the Message on invoice box. Then, we'll manually calculate and enter the total amount of each category.

Thank you for correcting my answer, FTech. I've already updated it.

LLCurtis
Level 1

Subtotaling for Invoices

So is bundle items a current feature of QBO for invoices?  Or is that something you are saying I would need to request for a future development effort?

I guess I'm not clear on how to get this set up.  Thanks!

JonpriL

Subtotaling for Invoices

Glad to have you back, @LLCurtis!

Tracking bundled items are only available for Essentials and Plus subscription. If you are one, I'm here to help you accomplish this.

1. Go to Sales.
  2. Select Products and Services.
  3. Click New.
  4. Choose Bundle.
  5. Enter the name of the bundled items on the Name field.
  6. Under the PRODUCTS/SERVICES column, select inventory or service items for your bundled items.
  7. Click Save and close.

Once done, you'll now be able to add and create new bundled items.

Here's a screenshot below for your visual reference and I've also included our detailed guide in creating bundled items.

Lastly, you may also read this article in any of your available time for your future reference: Import Products and Services.

It'll be always my pleasure to help you here in the Community if you have any other questions creating bundled items. Have a good one!

NinaCampfield
Level 1

Subtotaling for Invoices

I use a % surcharge that needs to apply to all items on the invoice.  Now I have to enter it after each item.  How do I subtotal the invoice so that I can apply the surcharge to that?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Subtotaling for Invoices

Hi @NinaCampfield.

Adding subtotals for each item on your invoice can be done by clicking the Add Subtotal button, and I can walk you through on where to locate that.

To add a subtotal per item on your invoice, please follow these steps below:

1. Click the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select on Invoice.
  3. Enter all the necessary details on the estimate.
  4. Click the Add Subtotal button. (do this per item if necessary)
  5. Select Save and close.

There you go!

Additionally, if you have any concerns that deals with "How do I" in QuickBooks Online, you may see these resources below for some references:

Please let me know how this works for you. I got your back and I'm always happy to help. Have a great day!

NumbersNC
Level 3

Subtotaling for Invoices

I am posting a Sales Receipt in QuickBooks Online and the Add Subtotal button is not there.

Is it an option in QBO Sales Receipts?

JenoP

Subtotaling for Invoices

Thanks for joining us here, NumbersNC.

For now, sub total will appear only in invoices and sales receipt if bundles items are used in the transaction.

You'll want to group the items as bundle and use it the sales receipt so the amounts will be printed with sub-totals. Just make sure to check the box for Display bundle components when printing or sending transactions box when setting up the item. 

You can scroll-up a little bit in the thread and follow the steps provided on how to create a bundle item. Please take note that you can remove items in the bundle right inside the sales receipt when creating it. Just click Trash or Delete icon in the right-hand side of the sales receipt.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us