cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brendbob
Level 1

Unable to load Quickbooks 2009 Pro

I have been using QuickBooks for years and on Windows 10 for at least 3.  This past year I installed Firefox and now I can't load the program.  The message says I have to turn Windows features on-off for Internet Explorer which is no longer on my computer. 

10 Comments 10
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, brendbob.

Thanks for being part of the QuickBooks family. I’m here to clarify why you’re unable to load your Quickbooks Pro 2009.

Based on the system requirements, the operating system is no longer compatible with your software’s version. Check out the QuickBooks Desktop system requirements article for more information.

To help you get back on track, you may want to consider upgrading your QuickBooks to a newer version to ensure smooth usage. Please visit this website for more information: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/desktop/.

To upgrade to a new QuickBooks Desktop version, follow the process in this article: QuickBooks Desktop.

The information I provided should help you moving forward.

Keep me posted if you have additional questions about QuickBooks. Please know that I've got your back. Wishing you the best.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Rasa-LilaM

Please Learn from this input.

@brendbob

This is Always in Windows 10: "The message says I have to turn Windows features on-off for Internet Explorer which is no longer on my computer."

QB doesn't require you to Abandon Firefox or use IE. It needs you to Enable IE, because this is the Protocol used by QB behind the scenes. It "speaks" to its own server using IE Protocol.

This is a Different Issue: QB 2009 reached end of life in May 2012. That means it was never compatible with W8 or newer. You have been Lucky you ran it this long and it never corrupted your data or locked you out of it. But now, you see that since W10 was released, it also gets updates at least twice a month and your program fell further and further behind in Compatibility.

Worse, you data file is now 10 years behind Current. Intuit has  3-year Lifecycle for the QB programs.

You need to buy QB 2019; it's been on the market for 6 months, already. And you need help updating that file. There were significant changes in the database in the ensuing years. Your file should go in Interim Update jumps. Example:

2009-2012-2015-2019 would likely work, rebuilding the file in between each update.

I recommend you ask Intuit to make the Update for you.

SuperJed
Level 1

I purchased a new Windows 10 computer and re-installed Quickbooks Pro 2009.  When I tried to restore a backup from a company file from my old computer, I got to the Username/Password step but, sadly, Quickbooks complained that my software was at R5 and the file that I was trying to open was at R14 so I should upgrade.   Unfortunately, I was unable to complete this operation because I got a bunch of upgrade errors, namely Error # 12007, and have been unsuccessful in accessing the data.

What I need to know is, if I upgrade Quickbooks to a newer version, will I be able to open the QB 2009 files and continue to use them?  Also, if my CPA is at 2009, will I be able to continue to work with her on this account?

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, SuperJed.

Welcome and thank you for posting to QuickBooks Community. I'll share information about QuickBooks Desktop updates to ensure you're able to work with your accounting software perfectly.

QuickBooks Pro 2009 is a discontinued and no longer supported version of QuickBooks. Reinstalling this version of Quickbooks with a new Windows 10 computer is not possible. That's why you're unable to open the company file and must be upgraded. Intuit discontinues live support and access to add-on business services of older desktop versions of QuickBooks to focus on supporting more current versions.

The error 12007 usually appears when downloading a payroll or QuickBooks Desktop updates. QuickBooks Desktop unable to successfully connect to the internet, which causes issues when updating. This may be because there are incorrect browser and security settings in place or an application such as an antivirus or firewall program is interfering with the update. To fix this error, you can click this article to see different troubleshooting steps: Get help with errors 12002, 12007, 12009, 12029, and 12031 when updating.

You're still unable to open the QuickBooks 2009 files even you'll decide to upgrade to the latest version. This is because Windows 10 is only supported with QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2019 and Enterprise 19.0. To view additional information, you can click this article: System requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2019 and Enterprise Solutions 19.0.

On the other hand, you and your accountant should use the same version or year of QuickBooks Desktop. That said, your accountant should also upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks. This is to avoid any errors and to continue running your business without issue. To add them, you can open this article: QuickBooks Desktop Users and Restrictions.

I'll also be sharing with you this article: System requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2021. It contains information about the operating system, hardware, software, and other requirements to run QuickBooks Desktop.

Please know that you can always get back into this post if you have more questions. I'll keep an eye on your response. Have a good one.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@SuperJed wrote:

Quickbooks complained that my software was at R5 and the file that I was trying to open was at R14 so I should upgrade.   

@SuperJed 

Check our profile name and send your business email address in a private message to us. We may share the latest installer of QBD 2009. 

rayrae
Level 1

I had the same issue with 2009 Premier Contractor but it installed fine on Windows 10 and I tried a sample company file to see if components worked.They did. I get to the same backup point as super jed and when I type in password, it says, "your data has not been restored". I don't use any of the online services but would like to

restore my backup . Any ideas, other then upgrading, would be helpful.   rayrae

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@rayrae 

It is possible your file is corrupted. Run QuickBooks File Doctor to check it. Another option, contact Support and ask Data Service to fix it. Otherwise, you have to purchase a 3rd party file repair service.

rayrae
Level 1

Is file doctor still usable for 2009 edition ? And should I check on old computer ? Backup was made on PC running Windows Vista. Thanks

Charies_M

I appreciate you for coming back, rayrae.

Yes, QuickBooks File Doctor still works on QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2009. Follow the steps below on how to perform this.

The first step is to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Before that, make sure to close your QuickBooks Desktop company file.

Then, run the Quick Fix my File. I'll show you the steps below:

1. From the tool hub, select Company File Issues.
  2. Select Quick Fix my File.
  3. Select OK when it completes and launch your QuickBooks.

Now you're ready to run the QuickBooks File Doctor.

Here's how:

1. From the tool hub, select Company File Issues.
  2. Select Run QuickBooks File Doctor. It can take up to one minute for the file doctor to open. Note: If the QuickBooks File Doctor doesn't open, search for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and open it manually.
  3. In QuickBooks File Doctor, select your company file from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see your file, select Browse and search to find your file.
  4. Select Check your file (middle option only) and then Continue.
  5. Enter your QuickBooks admin password and then select Next.

Once you're done running it and found issues, you have two options to proceed. Either Open the file in a newer version of QuickBooks or Repair the file in your existing version.

For a complete guide of the process of running the QuickBooks File Doctor, check out this article: Fix company file and network issues with QuickBooks File Doctor.

Since you're using an older version, you may want to read through this article to learn more about the discontinuation policy and upgrade information: QuickBooks Desktop service discontinuation (Disco) policy and upgrade information.

You may want to consider upgrading your QuickBooks to a newer version to ensure smooth usage. Please visit this website for more information: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/desktop/.

Follow the process in this article if you wish to upgrade to a new QuickBooks Desktop version: QuickBooks Desktop.

Keep me posted if you have additional questions about QuickBooks. Please know that I've got your back. Wishing you the best.

rayrae
Level 1

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. I have been upgrading Quick books, since 1990,lot of $$$$ but I only use it now for personal checking and accounts,and can,t justify another upgrade. As I mentioned before, the backup wizard gets me all the way to entering password and then shows ,,,,your data has not been restored. Hopefully your info will work.  Thanks

Need to get in touch?

Contact us