cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwachter89690
Level 1

Can one calculate EBITDA in QuickBooks On-Line? It does not appear so or am I wrong?

8 Comments 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can one calculate EBITDA in QuickBooks On-Line? It does not appear so or am I wrong?

EBITDA is a common term, but it is (usually) not a number that appears on the income statement - it may have to be calculated after.

but In QB "Operating Income" can be considered to be the same measure. OpInc is the subtotal that appears above "other income and other expense"

You should be putting all expenses for interest, depreciation, taxes in as "other expense" (or "other income" where appropriate).

iriteizips
Level 1

I was able to reclassify interest and depreciation under OTHER EXPENSES. However, there's no account type option under OTHER EXPENSES for Taxes. Paid Taxes are by default under EXPENSES.

Would be nice to have another sub category to allow the PnL to automatically calculate EBITDA

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, iriteizips.

Yes, the Taxes paid detail type is under the Expense account type. I'd take note of this feedback so additional categories will be included in one of our future updates. You can also run the Profit and Loss report and customize it to only show the EBDITA accounts. Here's how: 

1. Click Reports from the left menu.
  2. Under Business Overview, click Profit and Loss.
  3. Click the Customise button and select Filter.
  4. From the Distribution Account drop-down menu, put a checkmark on the Select All box.
  5. Unselect accounts that you'll want to exclude.
  6. Click Run reports.

Then, export the report to Excel and manually add the EBITDA line. For more details on how EBITDA works, you can use this link: EBITDA: Definition, formula, and how to use it.

Let me know if you have other questions. Take care!

WP-Sig
Level 2

It would sure be nice to get this common report type added to QB. I've found no less than a dozen requests over 4 years asking for it. How hard can it be?

Numb3r
Level 1

Agreed

jasonmaven
Level 1

Hi, Thanks for the explanation but I don't see the options that you are describing. In QBO when I choose the Report "Profit & Loss" and select "Customize" I only see the following options. 

Customize Report.jpg

 Please let me know where I can find the options that you described. The following don't appear as options for me:

1. From the Distribution Account drop-down menu, put a checkmark on the Select All box.
  2. Unselect accounts that you'll want to exclude.
  3. Click Run reports.
JamesAndrewM
QuickBooks Team

I'd be happy to help clear things up for you, @jasonmaven.

The Distribution filter from the Profit and Loss report is available in the Essential, Advanced, and Plus versions of QuickBooks Online. If you're using the Simple Start version, the option is unavailable on the report.

You may want to consider upgrading your current subscription. If so, you can utilize this page for updated prices on the plans that QuickBooks offers: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/pricing/

If you wish to upgrade your subscription, here's how:

1. Sign in to QuickBooks Online as a primary or company admin.
  2. Click the Gear icon on the top-right corner and then Account and Settings.
  3. Select the Billing & Subscription tab.
  4. Make sure your payment info is up to date.
  5. In the QuickBooks Online section, select Upgrade your plan.
  6. Review the available plans and then select Choose Plan.
  7. Follow the onscreen steps to upgrade your plan.

For more information, see this article: Upgrade or downgrade your QuickBooks Online subscription.

I'll add this article for future reference: Run, print, email, and export reports in QuickBooks Online.

For additional QuickBooks-related concerns, don't hesitate to post them here in the Community. We're always available and willing to lend a hand to your queries. Have a great day ahead.

mmb3
Level 2

I would like to add to this statement.  Depreciation and amortization is not an "Other Expense" under GAAP.  Interest and Taxes are, however.  This is a work around.  So, if you are issuing GAAP financials (maybe to a bank ?), I would not use this methodology.  Rather, do it manually until QB has some solution, which honestly, they should.  You typically would like to see GAAP net income, then the adjustment to EBITDA.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us