cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbell1
Level 2

Non Profit Split Donations

I am a  treasurer for a small church (not an accountant) but I have been use Premiere since the first of the year and recording donations as sales receipts, and tracking funds as classes.  This has been working great, but ran into an issue today.  I had a member write a check with a split donation, with part going to one the youth fund, but the other part was not even a donation, but was buying a plate for the Youth's Valentine banquet.  This brought up a couple of questions:

1.  When I enter a donation, the class at the top of the donation receipt seems to override the classes on the individual line items.  See attached.  I played around with this, and it would be this way even if both were actual donations.  When I run a donor contribution detail report showing the contributions, the class at the top overrides and places the entire amount in that class instead of splitting them out and the report isn't accurate.  Any ideas on how this should be entered to avoid this?

2.  When I run into this situation where I am recording items that are not really true donations, but are instead a payment like this, or purchase of a commentary or whatever.  Should I even be recording these in the donations/sales receipts?

7 Comments 7
JenoP

Hi there, dbell1.

QuickBooks will use the one that's assigned to the entire transaction if you assigned a class on the top of invoice. You might want to record the second item separately or remove it so you can assign the correct class on each line items and avoid incorrect reporting.

You can also use the Sales Receipt function to record payments instead of including them in recording donations.

Let me know if you need anything else.  

Rustler
Level 15

@dbell1 wrote:

I am a  treasurer for a small church (not an accountant) but I have been use Premiere since the first of the year and recording donations as sales receipts, and tracking funds as classes.  This has been working great, but ran into an issue today.  I had a member write a check with a split donation, with part going to one the youth fund, but the other part was not even a donation, but was buying a plate for the Youth's Valentine banquet.  This brought up a couple of questions:

1.  When I enter a donation, the class at the top of the donation receipt seems to override the classes on the individual line items.  See attached.  I played around with this, and it would be this way even if both were actual donations.  When I run a donor contribution detail report showing the contributions, the class at the top overrides and places the entire amount in that class instead of splitting them out and the report isn't accurate.  Any ideas on how this should be entered to avoid this?

Do not enter a class for the invoice at the top, that is optional, just class the items used.

2.  When I run into this situation where I am recording items that are not really true donations, but are instead a payment like this, or purchase of a commentary or whatever.  Should I even be recording these in the donations/sales receipts?

The item you use determines what account it posts to, so a sales item (plate) would post to sales income, and a donation item would post to donation income.  How you allocate those funds to general operating and fund accounts is done when you use make deposits.

So yes you can use both item types on one receipt or invoice

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenoP

RE: QuickBooks will use the class that is assigned to the entire transaction. You'll need to record the second item separately so you can assign the correct class and avoid incorrect reporting.

This is not correct.  You can include a different class on each row of the sale, if you turn on the Class column. 

Some reports only report on the summary row of the transaction, and in that case you'll see what you're describing. You need a report that filters or totals on the details lines.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I recommend the book Running QB for Not For Profits by Kathy Ivens.

"I had a member write a check with a split donation, with part going to one the youth fund, but the other part was not even a donation, but was buying a plate for the Youth's Valentine banquet."

You set up Different Items to meet the data flow requirements for the accounting.

"1.  When I enter a donation, the class at the top of the donation receipt seems to override the classes on the individual line items."

Enter your own details.

"When I run a donor contribution detail report showing the contributions"

Run Sales by Customer Detail; or Sales by Item Summary and filter on the one Donor Name. Or, Sales by Customer Summary, columns by Item type or Item Detail.

"2.  When I run into this situation where I am recording items that are not really true donations, but are instead a payment like this, or purchase of a commentary or whatever.  Should I even be recording these in the donations/sales receipts?"

Sales Receipt = you also got the Money for the same date as the Charges.

Invoice = like a Pledge = the Charges are listed and as of this date on the invoice, they are Not Yet Paid. Payment follows later.

What you asked about, is what you list on Either Type of "sales transaction" based on Paid Now or Paid Later, not based on the Charge entries.

dbell1
Level 2

I tried this way witht individual classes, and when I ran my report, it showed the items as "unclassified", even though they were classified on the lower line items

dbell1
Level 2

Recording the item separately was the only solution that would give me the correct reports.  Thank you for the help. 

dbell1
Level 2

Thank you, I will try to play around with the different reports tonight to see if this works.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us