cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrogers
Level 2

How to change vendor of a cleared bill payment

Last year, I paid a entered a bill that was for a commission to the vendor's personal name. It should have been issued under his business name, we only issue reimbursable expenses under their personal names. So now I'm working on doing his 1099, but need to move the bill payment from his personal name to his business name. I can change the bill to his business name, but QB won't let me change the company name on the bill payment check. I know I can delete the bill and re-enter it in QB then recreate the check that way, but by doing that would have to undo then re-do all of my bank reconciliations since then. Is there a way for me to do this without having to do that? I know I could do a journal entry, but then it wouldn't put his info on the 1099....help?

Solved
Best answer January 25, 2019

Best Answers
HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Good day, @chrogers.

I appreciate the details you've added. Let's work together to record your vendor's bill.

You're actually on the right track already. You can delete the bill and re-enter it in QB. Then recreate the check transaction. You don't have to worry re-doing the entire bank reconciliation because you can use the Special Reconciliation feature.

There are two methods available for completing the mini or special reconciliation. Choose the method appropriate for your situation.

That should help you correctly record your vendor's transaction and run the 1099 form, chrogers.

Please know that I'm still willing to help you more with anything about QuickBooks. Just mention my name or leave a reply below. Wishing you and your business continued success!

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Good day, @chrogers.

I appreciate the details you've added. Let's work together to record your vendor's bill.

You're actually on the right track already. You can delete the bill and re-enter it in QB. Then recreate the check transaction. You don't have to worry re-doing the entire bank reconciliation because you can use the Special Reconciliation feature.

There are two methods available for completing the mini or special reconciliation. Choose the method appropriate for your situation.

That should help you correctly record your vendor's transaction and run the 1099 form, chrogers.

Please know that I'm still willing to help you more with anything about QuickBooks. Just mention my name or leave a reply below. Wishing you and your business continued success!

chrogers
Level 2

Hi HoneyLynn,

Thank you so much - this worked perfectly. I'm so excited to find a way to do this without having to go through all the reconciliations. Thank you thank you thank you! :)

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Your reply made me smile, chrogers.

It's my pleasure to help QuickBooks customers. Of course, you can still drop by here in the Community for any questions. We're always ready to serve you. 

asald18
Level 1

Could you please elaborate on these steps? is the "off  cycle" an option ?

Thank you

Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @asald18.

Let me provide you with some details about this.

The off-cycle option allows you to process a reconciliation outside of your usual cycle. In addition, this is a mini reconciliation wherein you need to know the ending balance of your most recent reconciliation to correct it.

Also, you can reconcile your bank account or your credit card account. To perform a mini reconciliation on your bank account, you may follow these steps:

1. Click on Banking from the menu bar.
  2. Select the account you want to reconcile.
  3. Enter a date in the Date of Statement field. Note that the date can be any date between the last and next scheduled reconciliation.
  4. Enter the Ending Balance, then click on Continue.
  5. Select the transaction you want to re-reconcile.
  6. Ensure that the Difference field is $0.00, then click on Reconcile Now.

For further guidance, you may read this article: Reconcile Previously Deleted and Re-Entered Checking or Credit Card Transactions.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

guberuaga
Level 1

Hello!

This answer was so helpful! I really fretted when i changed the name of the vendor on a check I created (after deleting the old one) and saw it come back up in the reconciliation window.

ALl fixed now! But, my question is - what I have a NUMBER of transactions (bills and payments) that should have been under another vendor's name? Do I have to change the name on the bill, delete the associated check, re-create the check and reconcile each change? Or, is there a way to do this all at one time? Thanks!

IntuitLily

I'm happy to hear that, @guberuaga.

For your follow-up question, you'll have to delete and recreate each check so that they are all posted with the correct names since we don't have the option to do this by batch.

It's a great suggestion though if we can do this. I'll be sure to provide this idea to our Product Team. In the meantime, you can check our Product Updates Site to check what's new and what's coming.

Do visit the Community again if you have other questions or concerns. I'm here to help. Have a great day!

CollegeGirl
Level 1

Hi, I’m working on fixing someone’s books and a lot of old transactions which were imported from banks or credit cards were not put under a vendor. Can I add a vendor once it’s been reconciled. (I haven’t worked in a while so can’t remember) I won’t be changing any amounts so I think it’s fine but I want to double check. Thanks 

SarahannC

Hi there, CollegeGirl.

Let me share some insights on how the reconciled transactions work in QuickBooks Online.

Yes, we can still assign the old transactions to a vendor even though they have been reconciled already. Also, adding a vendor's name won't change the amount to it.

There are ways on how to assign the reconciled transaction to a vendor. Let me provide you the two ways below:

Within the Banking page:

1. In the Review tab, locate the transaction, you can check the amount as your reference  to know the transaction you opened is correct.
  2. under the Added or Matched column, click the Added to: link.
  3. Click the Payee drop-down arrow and select a vendor or you can add a new one.
  4. Then, Save.

n.PNG

Another way is to go in the Bank Register:

1. Click the Funnel icon drop-down arrow. In the Transaction Type field, select what type of transaction you want the book to generate.
  2. Select Reconciled under the Reconcile Status field. This is to easily find the transaction you want to assign to a vendor.
  3. Once found, click the transaction. Select a vendor under Payee Account.
  4. Then, Save.

nn.PNG

You can visit these articles during your free time. It's all about reconciliation in QuickBooks Online:

That will do it. I'm always around if you have other questions or clarification. Keep safe!

snichols317
Level 1

I had this same problem come up. The resolution you posted does not say whether you should void the original check or not. Since that cannot be undone, I wanted to make sure before doing it. I opened my original bill and changed the vendor name to the company name so the bill moved over to the correct account but now I have the original payment showing up as a credit on the vendor's personal account. I recreated the check to pay the company bill and will try the special reconciliation but need to know what to do with the original check. Thanks.

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining in this thread, @snichols317. I'm here to give you additional insights about the vendor credit in QuickBooks. 

The vendor credits can be used to pay to next bills. You can also write off a customer's credit in QuickBooks by creating a journal entry. I'd recommend you reach out first to your accountant before using this option.

Here's how: 

1. Go to the Company menu and select Make General Journal Entries.
  2. Change the date and fill in the entry number if necessary in the journal entry.
  3. Select the Account field and select Accounts Receivable from the drop-down list.
  4. Enter the amount under the Debit column, tab to the Name column and select a Customer Name from the dropdown list.
  5. In the next line, select the offset account and enter the amount under the Credit column. The offset account is usually an Expense account.

For more information, check out this article: Write off customer and vendor balances.

Keep me posted if you need anything else. I'm here to assist if you need help. 

JLS77
Level 1

Hello HoneyLynn,

Is there any way you could call me and walk me through how you fixed this issue so I make sure to correct it without creating more problems?

Giovann_G

We're unable to make a call to you, JLS77.

Can you more about your concerns? So we can provide you with the best solution to fix your issue.

You'll need to delete the bill and recreate it as HoneyLynn G did above if you wish to move the vendor bill payment from personal to a business name. Then, to avoid re-doing the entire bank reconciliation, you can perform a Special Reconciliation.

If you want to talk to our QuickBooks Online Support to walk you through the procedure. This helps you make sure you're following the proper process.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Help (?).
  2. Enter a question or topic.
  3. If you decide you need further help, you can click Talk to a human.
  4. Select Contact Us.
  5. Choose a way to connect either Start a chat or Get a callback.

You may track and set up your contactors as vendors after all of the records are complete so you can file their 1099s. For further information, see this article: Set up contractors and track them for 1099s in QuickBooks.

Don't hesitate to add any details below if you need further help, I'll keep an eye on your response. Have a great day.

VM15
Level 2

I want to change the vendor of a bill but I know it will go from reconciled to unreconciled status. If I do mini reconciliation will it be reconciled to the same month as was before or in the most recent reconciled month? 

Kurt_M
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the thread, @VM15. I'll help you proceed to change the vendor on a bill. To begin, here are the steps:

1. Edit the Bill and change the name. You'll see a warning that says Payment is linked, proceed to change it.
  2. Find the Bill Payment check and change the name. Once done, the open bill shows in the bottom part.
  3. Checkmark to link.

The bill payment check will not be unreconciled because you are not changing the amount, just the vendor. If it happens, you can perform a mini reconciliation. You can refer to this article to know more about the mini-reconciliation.

Our Community Help Articles page contains resources, video tutorials, and tips to manage your company files. If you need more information, feel free to visit the site.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if you require further help with changing the vendor on a bill. We in the Community would be more than happy to provide additional assistance. Keep safe and have a good one! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us