cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKM13
Level 1

Some employees can't see attached payrolls

Starting two weeks ago, 3 of my clients cannot receive attached payrolls sent from Quickbooks using Outlook. I have checked my sent items and verified that the attachments are there. When i forwarded them the email directly from Outlook, they received the attachment. One of these clients I send to from Quickbooks Enterprise 2018, the other two are Quickbooks Premier 2019.  We recently changed email providers to Microsoft Exchange, so I am wondering if this is a part of the issue?

Edit: One of the clients responded saying that they are receiving a winmail.dat file instead of a pdf. I have configured outlook to convert rtf files to plain text instead of html, and I believe this may have solved the issue. I am testing this fix now. 

Edit 2: This did not solve the issue. I have tried manually editing the Outlook registry to disable TNEF files to see if it will solve the issue.

8 Comments 8
FritzF

Hi there, @SKM13.

It's nice to see you here in the Community. I'm glad to know you already figured out how to fix this issue.

Just in case, you can also check out this helpful article for your reference: Winmail.dat is attached to email instead of a .pdf file when sent from QuickBooks through Outlook.

Thanks for being a part of our QuickBooks family. Please let me know how it goes in the comment section below. I'm always here if you have any follow-up questions or concerns. Wishing you and your business continued success!

synchros
Level 1

This is the exact issue my client is having. Did disabling TNEF work? Doesn't that break other functionality in Outlook?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

A pleasant day to you, @synchros.

If you're using the Outlook versions 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007, you may disable turn off the TNEF to send messages to Capsule in a standard mail format. This will not break other Outlook's functionality because this set up is for message format only.

To give you complete details about Disabling the Microsoft's proprietary TNEF format, please refer to this link: Steps to turn off TNEF.

If doing this doesn't make a difference, I suggest getting in touch with your IT professional or Microsoft for further assistance. They'll be able to guide you in resolving this matter since Outlook and QuickBooks are two different programs.

To lean more on what to do when Winmail.dat file is received instead of a .pdf file when sending an email through Outlook from QuickBooks Desktop, you may visit this article: Winmail.dat is attached to email instead of a .pdf file

I'm just a few clicks away if you have any other questions. I'll make sure you're taken care of. Wishing you a fantastic week ahead!

fwpbookkeeper
Level 2

I am having this same issue.  I only have issues when I send secure payroll stubs.  Did you ever get it resolved.  I have tried switching between HTML, RTF, and Plain Text but nothing seems to work.  If the employee opens the email on a PC, they see both the pdf and the winmail.dat file.  But if they are looking at it on their phone (which most of them do), they only see the winmail.dat.  I did find that if I went to me sent mail in Outlook and resent the file, it would come through with just the pdf.  But that is getting cumbersome.  This did not start happening until we got new computers (thank you Window's forced update) in December.  I now have Outlook 2016.

Anyone have help for this?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @fwpbookkeeper.

The standard settings for outgoing mail formats in Outlook can be overridden for an individual email address. If a recipient still receives a winmail.dat attachment after you've made the settings changes, you can reset the format for each email address.

Just a heads-up though, for Outlook 2019 and 2016 currently, there's no way to change sending preferences for email addresses that are assigned to an address book entry. You can check this article for more insights: How to specify the email message format that's used for external recipients to prevent Winmail.dat a...

Since you have the updated version of Outlook 2016, you can setting up a different email provider in QuickBooks. Here are the steps to connect your email:

Secure Webmail

1. Find the QuickBooks Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. Pick Send Forms.
  3. Hit Web Mail and Add.
  4. Choose your provider from the drop-down and enter your email address.
  5. Push the Use Enhanced Security checkbox and select OK.
  6. When prompted, sign in to your Intuit account.

Webmail

1. Locate Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. Go to the Send Forms.
  3. Hit Web Mail and Add.
  4. Fill out the Add Email Info and find OK.
  5. Pick OK to save your changes.

For more detailed steps, you can read through this article: Connect your email to QuickBooks Desktop.

If you're still getting the same results, I'd recommend contacting our Technical Support team. They have the tools to further look into the root cause of your concern. 

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. I hope you have a great week.

fwpbookkeeper
Level 2

Thank you for the information.  I had seen this before.  I may have to try it as a last resort.  I had to do something similar a few years ago for other email issues, however, when I do it this way, I do not have a record saved in my Outlook sent file which I like to have for record keeping purposes. 

I was recently online with Technical Support for an unrelated issue, when I asked about this issue, they told me to reach out to Microsoft as it is an issue with Outlook.

Thank you for your help.

fwpbookkeeper
Level 2

UPDATE:  These steps worked!

Webmail

1. Locate Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. Go to the Send Forms.
  3. Hit Web Mail and Add.
  4. Fill out the Add Email Info and find OK.
  5. Pick OK to save your changes.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. This also saves a copy in my Outlook sent folder.

Anna S
QuickBooks Team

Good to hear from you again, @fwpbookkeeper.

You're most welcome. I'm glad my colleague @IamjuViel was able to provide you a solution.  I also appreciate your taking the time to post this and letting me know that the issue got resolved.

As always, Community is full of experts possessing knowledge in all facets of QuickBooks, so please reach out to us here if there's anything you need. We're always happy to help you along your road to victory. Wishing you and your business continued success!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us