cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Budget Friendly Bookkeeping
Level 5

Entering or Editing Data, Field not ready for input when switching screens

Sorry - not sure how I can make this title shorter or more concise.

During the entering of Data, be it a new transaction or editing a previously entered transaction, I have multiple Windows and/or Tabs open.  During the entering process, I need to ALT-TAB or jump back and forth to look at or copy and paste information.  The issue is when I leave the window with my cursor in the Field I need to populate with Data.  When I leave that screen to look at the other screen, when I return, the cursor is no longer waiting to accept the new Data. Instead I need to click once again, in that Field and then enter my Data.  This is extremely inefficient as sometimes I'm not even looking at the screen when I do this, especially when I'm in "productive" mode.  In the Desktop Versions, this is not the case.

If anyone has a solution to this other than switching back to QBD (which I plan on getting my clients back on), please let me know.

As always, I thank you in advance for your suggestions or solutions.

Edit: I need to update this as I forgot that this is not the case while entering data in the actual register using the drop down found under the title "Date" in the Date column.  I agree, that while adding transactions here, you can leave and come back to fill in fields, however, this is not what I am asking.

5 Comments 5
john-pero
Community Champion

Have you considered that your open tabs do not update live, that instead of waiting for them to ping Intuit hit the refresh button for whichever browser you use when you jump to each tab

Level 5

Hi John,

One of my pet peeves with QBO is that other tabs do not auto refresh as with QBD.  Now, when you say "Have you considered that your open tabs do not update live", did I miss something somewhere that you can make these tabs update without hitting refresh?

Also, can you please explain "Ping Intuit"?  

Finally, as to the last part of your statement, hitting refresh is the thing I do not wish to do.  By doing just that, once again, the cursor is no longer waiting in the field I wish to enter in.  In other words, I would have to click into that box once again in order to populate it.

Thanks for your help.

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

Yes I have noticed this, but it's one click, and a small design flaw IMO, in view of the others, but  otherwise I find QBO to be a reliable and convenient program, more user friendly than QBD in many respects, Eg the ability to copy almost any text, which you say you do, which can't be done in QBD, except for data-entry fields, in edit mode

Level 5

Yet, another issue that comes with this minor flaw, as you say, is when Adding More Details from within the Bank Feed.  Now forgive me for jumping as I'm working on two simultaneous clients, one with QBO and the other with QBD.  In QBD, as I work from within the bank feed, when Adding More Details for a check, when it opens, it jumps to the Payee field instead of starting out in the date field.  It presumes, the date that clears the bank is the date of the check which is very bad bookkeeping.  Again, this is a problem as an average bookkeeper may not pick this up.  After clicking on the date, or shift Tabbing to get there, and finishing the date, clicking or tabbing to the payee field is okay.  However, after finishing with the Payee and hitting Tab, if there is already a description brought in from the bank feed, the field is skipped and jumps to the account field.

Again, these little annoyances, or "minor flaws" may be insignificant and acceptable to many.  However, for those in production mode, these little hiccups are not only a nuisance, it takes time away from moving forward not to mention allowing for possible mistakes.

I am struggling everyday to accept these new features as I do see some benefits.  However, over my last 25+ years (closing in on 30) using QBD versions, although there were issues, reconciling was a matter of discovery and entry only and not of these Minor Flaws.

Anyway, taking a break from the mundane reconciliations by coming to this forum again.  Back to it for me and again, I thank everyone for the feedback and opinions.

Just to reiterate:  I do find some of these new tools wonderful as long as the right person sets them up.  This nonsense of allowing the Bank Feed to automatically create rules is absurd.  I came to this one client where there were hundreds and hundreds of the most absurd rules and entries.  Again, I do love it as Intuit gave bookkeepers and accountants more work as small business owners easily screw up their books by trying these automated tools without truly understanding them first.  However, once properly set up and carefully watched, these automations can be significant time savers for those with a large number of monthly transactions.

I may as well add this to this thread.  While in the Bank Feed of QBD, when sorting the list by NO. so that I can get all the checks entered (again, routine developed for production), after selecting one of these checks to Add More Details (under Actions), and upon completion of the entry, the list that was sorted by NO. now jumps back to the default of what I believe to be Status.  Perhaps there's a default I can set which I will look into.  If I find it, I'll get back on here.  Otherwise, if you're reading this, then the issue stands.

DomnicL
Level 1

Hi there, I am having the same issue, have you figured out a way around it?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us