cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg P
Level 1

Upgrading QB 2015 to QB 2019 - Error opening company file

I am ugrading a non-profit from QB 2015 to QB 2019.

Software installation went fine.

When I go to open the company file in QB 2019 I get the following error message;

"This company file needs to be updated. Please ask your QB Admin to update file."

I don't see in QB 2015 or QB 2019 how to "Update" the company file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Comments 4
BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Greg P

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to help and share some information so you can get past of the update message that you receive.

When you install a later version of QuickBooks Desktop, your company file is automatically updated the first time you open it with the later version. You'll need to make sure that you're the Admin to update the file. You are automatically logged in as the Admin user unless you have created users and roles in QuickBooks Desktop. To get rid of the error message, close the file and reopen it using the admin user login.

To learn more about the QuickBooks Desktop Admin role and with updating your company file, please refer to these articles: 

However, if the issue persists, I'd suggest giving our Technical Team a call. They have extra tools like screen-sharing to check on your file and verify on what's causing the issue.

To reach them:

1. In your browser, navigate to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Select the issue or topic.
  4. Click the Green Phone button to see the support number.

This should help you get back on track, @Greg P.

Please let me know how it goes by replying into this thread. I'll be around if I can be of additional assistance. Have a lovely weekend!

lighthousectr
Level 1

I am having a different problem going from 2015 to 2019.  I followed all the screen prompts but am missing a couple of years (2017-2018) of data.  I am not sure how to fix this or where to go.

lighthousectr
Level 1

I am having a different problem.  I installed QB2019 with no problem and followed all the prompts.  However, all of my previous data is not complete.  I am missing the two most recent years.  Ugh.  Not sure how to move forward.

MaryGraceS

Hi there, @lighthousectr.

Thank you for posting in the Community. I'd be happy to help share some insights about how to bring the missing data from previous years in your QuickBooks Desktop.

It's possible that you open the wrong company file when upgrading to QuickBooks 2019. To resolve this, let's restore the most recent backup of your company file.

I've attached the following article which contains more details and steps about this: Restore a backup of your company file.

In case you need help more help,  feel free to contact our QuickBooks Desktop Support. They'll be able to guide you through the whole process.

Here's how to reach them:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, select a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

That should take care of it. Keep me posted if you have any other questions with restoring the complete data file into QuickBooks. I'm always here to lend a hand. Have a great day ahead. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us