cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillM
Level 2

Can 20 items purchased as a set qualify for de minimis tangible property treatment?

I purchase a set of 20 identical items (retail store display "furniture").  If they were purchased separately, they would have cost $350 each.  Buying them as a set I paid a total price of $6000.  They were billed as a "kit" and no longer priced individually.  Can I still expense this under the de minimis regulations or does the fact that 20 individual items were sold and priced as a discounted set/kit mean I can no longer expense the items.
Solved
Best answer January 18, 2019

Best Answers
john-pero
Community Champion

Can 20 items purchased as a set qualify for de minimis tangible property treatment?

Here, in case you do not have access, is the rule https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations

Per line item or otherwise quantity indicated such that individual pricing would easily be determined is what I see.  If, as you say, all of your documentation states you bought a single "kit" for $6000 you might have to treat this NOT as safe harbor. Even then, certain purchases do not qualify and if, for example, your store displays are attached to the walls or floor it is my understanding they would not be safe harbor. Consult with your tax CPA on all matters related to deductibility

View solution in original post

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

it says " you may use the safe harbor to deduct amounts up to $2,500 per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice). "

that seems clear to me

If you have one invoice for each item then yes, but if all 20 are on one invoice then no

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
john-pero
Community Champion

Here, in case you do not have access, is the rule https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations

Per line item or otherwise quantity indicated such that individual pricing would easily be determined is what I see.  If, as you say, all of your documentation states you bought a single "kit" for $6000 you might have to treat this NOT as safe harbor. Even then, certain purchases do not qualify and if, for example, your store displays are attached to the walls or floor it is my understanding they would not be safe harbor. Consult with your tax CPA on all matters related to deductibility

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

it says " you may use the safe harbor to deduct amounts up to $2,500 per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice). "

that seems clear to me

If you have one invoice for each item then yes, but if all 20 are on one invoice then no

Need to get in touch?

Contact us