cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user64014
Level 1

Can I close a bank account in QB Online when error message says "This account cannot be deleted because it is used by a product or service."? How can I close it?

1 Comment 1
MichaelDL
QuickBooks Team

Can I close a bank account in QB Online when error message says "This account cannot be deleted because it is used by a product or service."? How can I close it?

Greetings, @user64014.

I've got just the steps you'll need to resolve this error message. This means that the bank account has been selected as either the Income, Expense, or Asset account of a Product or Service in your QuickBooks. In order to locate and remove this selection, follow these steps:

Changing Product/Service Account Assignments

1. From QuickBooks Online, click the Gear icon (⚙) and select Products and Services.
  2. For each item on the list, click Edit.
  3. Verify that the bank account you're trying to delete isn't selected in the Inventory asset account, the Income account, or the Expense account.

Look into our article on changing the account for a product/service item to learn more. I've also attached a brief video demonstration of this below:

Once you're removed the bank from these account selections on all items, you'll be able to delete that bank account without any further delay. Please touch base with me here should you need any additional assistance, I'm always available to lend a hand. Thanks for bringing us your question and have a magnificent weekend.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us