cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
groomnan
Level 1

manage log in settings - need to disable credit card protection?

I am administrator. Trying to look up a User's log in password. Says I can't due to credit card protection.

6 Comments 6
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

It’s good to have you here, @groomnan.

I’m here to help walk you through in updating the password of your Authorized User.

One possible reason you‘re prompted that you cannot change the password of your user is because you’ve enabled the credit card protection and haven’t met one of the password requirements

In compliance with the PCISS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard), instead of disabling your credit card protection you are required to use the complex password in assigning a new password for your authorized users.  

• A complex password should contain:

• At least seven characters (letters, numbers, special characters).

• Should have at least one number.

• Must have at least one uppercase letter.

• Complex passwords should be changed every 90 days.

Here’s how to update your user’s password:

1. Click Company.
  2. Go to Users.
  3. Choose Set Up Users and Roles.
  4. In the User List tab, select User.
  5. Hit Edit.
  6. Type in the new password and confirmed it.
  7. Click Ok.

That should do it! Let me know how it works on your end. I’m always here to help you manage your authorized user. 

rfwloktek
Level 1

I no longer am using credit cards and my merchant account is closed. Can I disable the credit card protection feature in QB?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @rfwloktek.

Once QuickBooks detects that the company file has sensitive data, it will still ask to populate the security protection password.

However, removing credit card information and Personally Identifiable Information (PII) from the file will turn off this configuration, and users will not be required to set up a password.

To give you how the password security protection works in QuickBooks Desktop, please see this link: Password security for Personally Identifiable Information (PII)

Reach out to me if there's anything else you need. I'd be more than happy to help. Have a great day!

mgoodrun
Level 1

What if I'm trying to 'manage login settings'?  It says to disable credit card protection, but when I try to disable it under Company - Customer Credit Card Protection, the disable button is grayed out.  What I'm trying to do, is manage login settings so all users will be automatically logged out of QB's after 24 hours.  Thanks for the help!

JenoP

Hi there, mgoodrun.

It's possible that the login you're using is not an admin access. This can be the reason why the Disable Credit Card Protection button is grayed out. 

Let's log out of the company temporarily. Then, make sure to use an admin access when logging back in. Once done, go back to the Company menu and check if you can already turn it off. 

If you're already using the admin access, you can also reset the password to test if the user profile is not damaged. Follow the steps in this video tutorial for more details: How to Reset Your Admin Password.

Just in case you're still unable to turn it off, you can reach out to our Technical Support Team. They can take a closer look at this to determine why the button is grayed out. Here's a link where you can get their contact details: Contact QuickBooks Desktop Support.

Feel free to visit this article as well for additional guidance and reference: Stay Logged In To QuickBooks Company File.

Add another reply or send another question if you need anything else.. We'd be happy to help you again.

BigRedConsulting
Community Champion

@JenoP 

RE: It's possible that the login you're using is not an admin access.

While possible, it doesn't matter (which you really should know before offering advice.)  I'm logged in as the admin for my company and see the same thing: It can't be disabled even though I no longer use the Intuit Merchant Services.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us