cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dancingfish
Level 1

How to print 6 part w2 form when Qbooks only has 3 or 4 part options?

5 Comments 5
AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

I've got you covered, dancingfish.

I'm here to provide some insight on your question regarding the W-2 form.

At this time, QuickBooks Online doesn't support the 6 part printing option for the W-2 form. However, you have the option to print the form using a plain paper, so you don't have to purchase either a 3-part of 4-part perforated paper. For more information about this, I recommend following this article: Print W-2 forms

I hope this response finds you with a smile. Keep in touch if there's anything else I can do for you, I want to make sure you're taken care of properly. Have a great day!

Evelyn84
Level 1

I know I can print W2 in plain paper, my question is, Plain paper is accepted by the IRS? or will the plain paper forms have problems when the employees have to file their taxes? Thank you

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Good afternoon, @Evelyn84.

Welcome to Community. Thanks for reaching out.

To best assist you, may I know what payroll subscription you're currently using? The paper requirements can change due to your payroll subscription type. For the best knowledge to know if the IRS accepts certain paper types, I recommend contacting them or visit https://www.irs.gov/.

Paper requirements (QuickBooks Online Payroll):

Blank 3-part perforated paper, Blank 4-part perforated paper, or Plain paper - you must also provide the W-2 filing instructions to your employee.

For more details on other payroll subscriptions, check out: How to print W-2s forms

If you have further questions, feel free to drop a line. I'm always around to lend a helping hand to get you back to business. Take care!

Evelyn84
Level 1

Thank you for answering my question Tori, the service we have is QuickBooks Self Service Payroll and the options I have to print W2s are: 3 parts perforated paper, 4 parts perforated paper or just plain paper. I got a 6 parts W2s forms planning on print them on it, but it won't fit anyway that I want to print it. How can I know, if I may ask, that the employees won't have problems with the forms printed in plain paper?

Thank you!

Ashley H
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for your response, @Evelyn84.

I recommend reaching out to the IRS to check if the plain paper would be acceptable for your employees. You do have the option to print on plain paper. With the plain paper, W-2's are set up so that the employee's address is visible through a single-window, standard No. 10 business envelope (4-1/8" by 9-1/2", left-aligned window). It must be blank, not a pre-printed form.

If you have further questions or concerns, don't hesitate and reach back out. Have a beautiful day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us