cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zaman
Level 1

Splitting a bank payment to different suppliers

Hello Everyone,

We have made a bank payment to 3 contractors but it appears in bank feeds as one total figure. I am finding it difficult to split between suppliers. 

Solved
Best answer January 14, 2019

Best Answers
MaryGraceS

Greetings, @Zaman.

Thank you for posting in the Community. I'd be glad to assist you with being able to split the bank payment to different suppliers.

QuickBooks Online automatically provides match suggestions to the existing transactions in your account. However, if it can't find it, you can search for other transactions to match to the downloaded transaction.

Here's how:

1. On the Banking page, select the For Review tab.
  2. Select the transaction to open it.
  3. Select the Find other records or Find match button to open the Match transactions window. The Match transactions window shows All transactions within the date range.
  4. Use options on the Show drop-down menu to specify the type of transaction you're looking for.
  5. Enter specific text, such as a name, part of a name, or an amount, in the Search field to review only transactions that match the text.
  6. If the transaction you're looking for is outside the default date range, select the From and To date fields to change the dates.
  7. Select the checkbox of the matching transactions. 
  8. Verify that the total of the selected transactions is the same as the amount of the downloaded transaction.
  9. Select Save.

For additional reference, please check out the How to add and match downloaded banking transactions article, then follow the steps under Find matching transactions.

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our phone support. They can use the screen sharing tool to walk you throughout the steps. 

Here's how: 

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, select your QuickBooks version.
  3. Select a topic.
  4. Click on the Get Phone Number or Start a Message button.

That should take care of it. I believe that you'll have the bank payment applied to the suppliers in just a few clicks.

I'm just a post away if you should have any questions. Have a great rest of your week.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
MaryGraceS

Greetings, @Zaman.

Thank you for posting in the Community. I'd be glad to assist you with being able to split the bank payment to different suppliers.

QuickBooks Online automatically provides match suggestions to the existing transactions in your account. However, if it can't find it, you can search for other transactions to match to the downloaded transaction.

Here's how:

1. On the Banking page, select the For Review tab.
  2. Select the transaction to open it.
  3. Select the Find other records or Find match button to open the Match transactions window. The Match transactions window shows All transactions within the date range.
  4. Use options on the Show drop-down menu to specify the type of transaction you're looking for.
  5. Enter specific text, such as a name, part of a name, or an amount, in the Search field to review only transactions that match the text.
  6. If the transaction you're looking for is outside the default date range, select the From and To date fields to change the dates.
  7. Select the checkbox of the matching transactions. 
  8. Verify that the total of the selected transactions is the same as the amount of the downloaded transaction.
  9. Select Save.

For additional reference, please check out the How to add and match downloaded banking transactions article, then follow the steps under Find matching transactions.

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our phone support. They can use the screen sharing tool to walk you throughout the steps. 

Here's how: 

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, select your QuickBooks version.
  3. Select a topic.
  4. Click on the Get Phone Number or Start a Message button.

That should take care of it. I believe that you'll have the bank payment applied to the suppliers in just a few clicks.

I'm just a post away if you should have any questions. Have a great rest of your week.

anurag60
Level 1

Hi, This solution provided , I believe will not be acceptable in many countries due to regulatory issues. As per this solution the bank ledger will show three or four smaller amounts and total of all these will be equal to amount as appearing in bank statement. As a prudent practice our Bank ledger in our books should show exactly the same amounts which are appearing in the Bank statement - these should match line by line. The solution provided is a work around and does not ensure line by line match between bank statement and client books. 

JES10
Level 1

We use Print Boss for our Check/ACH payments.  It creates the file for the ach and we send it to the bank to send out payments.  The issue we are having is when it hits the bank it shows as one lump sum in QB desktop.  When they go to match the transactions included in that file it gives us an error stating we are trying to match more than one transaction to the payment we made.  What is the process to match this off?  No matter what we try it doesn't work so we have the payment we made sitting on the bank and the bills that were paid waiting to be matched to the payment

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, JES10.

Thank you for visiting the QuickBooks Community. I'll share details of bank data work in QuickBooks, then ensure you can match your entries smoothly.

Please keep in mind that the downloaded data in QuickBooks is based on the information provided by the financial institution, therefore I recommend contacting your bank to confirm and verify the details of the entries, such as whether it should appear as one lump sum. 

Furthermore, to match the downloaded transaction to more than one or multiple entries in QuickBooks Desktop, I recommend selecting the Resolve option to split entries to balance the remaining amount; you can also add resolving split entries in an existing posted transaction for deposits and payments; and you can use the Add More Details to organize the matching transactions in QBDT.

Lastly, you can open this article to see the instructions you need to resolve any reconciliation issues you may encounter: Learn the reconcile workflow in QuickBooks.

You're always welcome to reply to this thread. Just ping me if you have other concerns with bank transactions and with QuickBooks in general. I'd be glad to back you and your business, JES10. Keep safe and have a nice day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us