cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jandhcody
Level 2

invoicing and paying Subcontractor/drivers for trucking company

Not sure how to ask this but here goes. We are just getting started with QB for a trucking company? Is there a way to send an invoice and track which driver(subcontractor) hauled the load on the invoice? We then pay the drivers a % of each load hauled? How would be the best way to track/invoice this info so we can get paid from others and then pay the drivers with the least amount of steps?

Solved
Best answer January 10, 2019

Best Answers
AlcaeusF

Hello and welcome to the Community, jandhcody.

I'd be pleased to assist with your question about tracking subcontractors you assign on an invoice.

You can add the subcontractors to the Sales Rep List window to keep track of the information from the invoices. When adding a sales rep, you'll have an option to choose a vendor.

Here's how:

1. Click the List tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Customer & Vendor Profile Lists.
  3. Click Sales Rep List.
  4. Click the dropdown arrow next to Sales Rep.
  5. Click New.
  6. Below Sales Rep Name, select the name of the driver.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Open an invoice.
  9. Below REP, click the dropdown and add the name of the driver.

After adding them to your invoices, you can then run a Sales By Rep report to manually calculate their percentage for each load hauled. You can either pay them through creating a check or bill.

Here's how to run the report:

1. Click the Reports tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Sales.
  3. Choose a Sales By Rep report.

Please be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you succeed. I'll be eyeing out on your response.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
AlcaeusF

Hello and welcome to the Community, jandhcody.

I'd be pleased to assist with your question about tracking subcontractors you assign on an invoice.

You can add the subcontractors to the Sales Rep List window to keep track of the information from the invoices. When adding a sales rep, you'll have an option to choose a vendor.

Here's how:

1. Click the List tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Customer & Vendor Profile Lists.
  3. Click Sales Rep List.
  4. Click the dropdown arrow next to Sales Rep.
  5. Click New.
  6. Below Sales Rep Name, select the name of the driver.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Open an invoice.
  9. Below REP, click the dropdown and add the name of the driver.

After adding them to your invoices, you can then run a Sales By Rep report to manually calculate their percentage for each load hauled. You can either pay them through creating a check or bill.

Here's how to run the report:

1. Click the Reports tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Sales.
  3. Choose a Sales By Rep report.

Please be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you succeed. I'll be eyeing out on your response.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

jandhcody
Level 2

Great I think this will work for what I am needing! One more thing, is there a way to shut off the alert (it alerts you and asks if you want to change the rep on all the previous invoices every time you go to save) and I don't want to accidentally change everything! Thanks

Charies_M

Hi, jandhcody.

Allow me to share with you some information about the alert message you're getting.

If you're referring to the alert that prompts when trying to save your invoice, this is set as default in QuickBooks Desktop. While this option is not yet available, I encourage you sending this suggestion to our product developers through feedback. I'll make sure to do the same thing on my end.

Here's how you can send your request:

1. Choose the Help menu.
  2. Click Send Feedback Online.
  3. Select Product Suggestion.
  4. Enter your feature request.
  5. Click Send Feedback.

Your feedback will help us get the option to add columns on invoices included in our future updates. 

I'll be around if you there's anything else you need. Just leave me a reply below and I'll get back to you.

jburk3344
Level 1

Our Trucking customers want us to invoice them every 2 weeks on 1 invoice so we have multiple drivers hauling different loads on the same invoice so the sales rep thing won't work. In Quicken it was so easy to set up a driver column do this and actually print out a settlement sheet showing each load each driver did. Does QuickBooks pro have anything that can do this? I've tried using the "class" settings but it doesn't do this either. I really don't like QuickBooks for a trucking business, it seems like it's set up more for retail or product based businesses but my accountant wants us to switch to QuickBooks so I'm using QuickBooks pro desktop and I hate it! 

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @jburk3344

hank you for joining the thread. Currently, in QuickBooks Desktop pro, sales rep and class are only available in pro. Rest assured, we're doing our best to offer better invoicing and support a more complex set up in QuickBooks. You can try looking for the most compatible third-party applications in QuickBooks. 

I suggest visiting our Blog site. This is where we share recent happenings and future developments, such as updates to newly added features. Here's the link: The QuickBooks Blog

Please know that the Community is always here to help you out to make you and your business easy and functional.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us