cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kim Perico
Level 2

Convert excel to IIF to import Journal Entry Desktop 2018

I can find info on how to import a JE but how do I convert from Excel or CSV to IIF?

Solved
Best answer January 08, 2019

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can do this.  It is technically possible save an IIF file directly from a worksheet, but difficult and problematic as Excel likes to format fields and that can mess up the file.

Use our BRC IIF Transaction Creator Pro  to convert Excel worksheet data into IIF files with financial transactions including Journals and most other types like Invoices, Checks, Bills, Deposits and so on.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Good day, @Kim Perico.

I’m here to share some information about converting Excel or CSV files to IIF and importing Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop.

The ability to change an Excel or CSV file to IIF is currently not available. However, QuickBooks has lots of 3rd party apps from the Intuit Marketplace for the list of applications that you can use in converting the file.

I also suggest sending feedback to our Developers for the inclusion of this option in future updates. Rest assured, I’ll do the same on my end.

Let me show you how:
1.    Go to the Help menu and select Send Feedback Online.
2.    Select Product Suggestion.
3.    On the QuickBooks Feedback window, fill out onscreen instructions.
4.    Click Send Feedback

In the meantime, you can download a sample IIF for journal entries and manually create your own file and import it in QuickBooks. For more information, please take a look at this article: IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers.

That’s it. Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. I’m always here if you need further assistance. Take care and have a great day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can do this.  It is technically possible save an IIF file directly from a worksheet, but difficult and problematic as Excel likes to format fields and that can mess up the file.

Use our BRC IIF Transaction Creator Pro  to convert Excel worksheet data into IIF files with financial transactions including Journals and most other types like Invoices, Checks, Bills, Deposits and so on.

Kim Perico
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  So basically I'm getting that it's quite difficult.  What about importing .QBJ files?  How is that done?  It seems to me it should be a pretty easy thing to import a JE but QB seems to not be that easy.

Kim Perico
Level 2

Thanks for the response.  It seems like it's a little difficult so I'll probably continue to just hand key my weekly JE's.

mfaster
Level 1

Get the IIF kit From Intuit.  It has example iif files for different transactions.  Get the example file for the transactions you want to import.  I copy and pasted the file in the same folder.  This will make a copy of the example file.  While in windows explorer rename the copied file to want ever you want to name your transaction.iif file.  Open this file from within excel and you can build your transaction. then Save from within Excel.  Excel cannot "Save As" an .iif file but it can save in place.  Hope this helps

syan
Level 1

mfaster,

I got the IIF Import kits and did see the sample files as IIF file format. However, I cannot even see the IIF file from excel access. Could you please advise how I can open a IIF file from excel?

JenoP

Hi there, syan.

I'll share the steps with you on how you can open the IIF file through Excel. Here's how:

1. Open an Excel file.
  2. Click File in the upper-left hand corner, then select Open.
  3. Click Browse and look for the IIF file.
  4. Select the file and click Open.
  5. If you can't see it, make sure that you select All Files in the lower-right hand corner.

From there, you can follow the instructions shared by mfaster. 

You can also add another reply below if you still nee more help with this. 

Rea_M

I've got ways in importing your Journal Entries (JE) in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), @samandrew.

While there's no direct way to import your JEs to QBDT, you may consider performing any of the following options:

Regardless of the option you choose, I encourage you to back up your files every time. This way, you're able to restore your company data in case of unintended loss and for future use.

To learn more about transferring info to and from QBDT, you can refer to this article: Import and export data in QuickBooks Desktop. It also includes topics about the things to keep in mind when you import or export data.

Please know that you're always welcome to get back to me if you have other importing and file management concerns. I'll be glad to help. Take care always.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@samandrew 

If you are not familiar with IIF, you may create JE data with the following template

RefNumberTransaction DateAccountDebit Credit MemoNameClassBillableIs AdjustmentCurrencyExchange RateHome Currency AdjustmentAmounts in Home Currency
127/09/2020Checking  130PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Wages200 PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Payroll Taxes Payable 50PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Health Insurance Payable 20PR 092518John Smith NN    

then utilize one of these importer tools

https://transactionpro.grsm.io/qbd

https://partners.saasant.com/affiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=5051_2

JL_User00013
Level 1

I don't know how long I've been trying to upload an IIF (hours??), but this is the best piece of instruction I have found.  

Need to get in touch?

Contact us