cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike32
Level 1

Is it possible to create a scheduled task to batch send invoices in QBO?

16 Comments 16
MorganB
Content Leader

Hello, mike32.

Thanks for contacting the Community for support. I'd be glad to provide some info on your question about batch sending invoices in QuickBooks Online.

One option that you may be interested in is sending recurring invoices. Once you set up recurring invoices, they'll be automatically delivered to your customer on the dates you have scheduled, and you won't have to worry about creating them over and over. Here's how:

1. Click the Create icon (+) in the top right corner.

2. Select Invoice.

3. Fill out the necessary information.

4. Select Make recurring at the bottom of the page.

5. You'll then be able to customize the invoice.

This article provides more information on using this feature in your account: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Income-and-expenses/How-to-create-a-recurring-invoice-and-ma....

Sending batch invoices isn't currently available in QBO. I think this would be a useful option to have for invoicing customers. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the Product Development Team.

I wish you and your business continued success. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

musicjoylaughter
Level 1

I would like to second this request. I charge customers a set amount each month, but occasionally need to add extra charges. I need a way to generate invoices a month early but not send them, so I can edit the current invoice as needed, rather than the template (which I then have to remember to change back the following month), and then have the current invoice with all changes automatically sent on the first of the month. Is there no way to generate a month early (but not send,) and then automatically send those invoices that have already been generated?

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

We have multiple recurring types which you can set, musicjoylaughter.

We have a way to generate a monthly recurring invoice through the Reminder type. It’s used for transactions with a fixed schedule that needs to be edited before your create and send them. However, we’ll have to manually send them once you’ve modified the invoices.

Let me show you how create a recurring reminder transaction:

1. Go to the Gear icon and click Recurring Transactions.
  2. At the upper-right, click New.
  3. Select Invoice and click OK.
  4. Enter a Name for the template and then choose Reminder as a type.  
  5. Fill out the rest of the details.
  6. Click Save template.

You can use this reference when creating recurring transaction. I'll be here if you need more help.

Brandon K
Level 1

I would also like to send 1 invoice at a later date. 
for example, If I am on vacation next week, but still need a bill to send tomorrow, or next week; I don't want to have to manually do that.

MJoy_D

Hello, @Brandon K

You can create a scheduled recurring invoice. Set the start and the end date it after the first occurrence. 

Let me show you how:

1. Go to Gear () icon and select Recurring Transactions.
  2. Select New and choose Invoice from the Transaction Type drop-down. 
  3. Click OK.
  4. Add all the necessary information. 
  5. Choose Scheduled as Type.
  6. Set the date when this transaction will be sent under the Interval section.
  7. Enter the start and end date after the first occurrence. 
  8. Click on Save template once you’re done.

Check these articles for more information:  

Stay in touch if you have any other concern. I'm always here to assist. Keep safe and have a great rest of the day!

Brandon K
Level 1

Thank you, guess its just confusing as we don't want anything recurring, just want to schedule a send on one.

But this looks like a way to trick the system!
THANKS!

MJoy_D

You're welcome, @Brandon K

It's our pleasure to help. If you have any other concerns in the future, the Community is always here to help you.

Keep safe and have a wonderful day!

Tina48
Level 1

I agree that there is a big need for the ability to make a invoice that can be scheduled to send at a later date without having it be a recurring invoice. This feature would sure make life a lot easier. 

kbulger
Level 1

Every client is on a different invoicing schedule.  example:  Invoice on 1/1/21,  4/1/21,  6/1/21.   These invoices are not a set 3 months apart.  Is it still possible to schedule these ahead of time?

DivinaMercy_N

Thanks for joining this thread, @kbulger.

You can create a recurring invoice for each specific date and just make sure to input the end date if you don't want QuickBooks Online (QBO) to create the transaction again.

Here's how:

1. Go to the +New and select Invoice.
  2. Enter the necessary details and click the Make recurring button.
  3. Enter the Template name, Type, specific day to create an invoice in advance, etc. 
  4. Input a Start date, for example, 1/1/21, 4/1/21, 6/1/21. 
  5. Then, click the End drop-down arrow and choose By.
  6. Input the End date.
  7. Hit Save template

recurrinvoice.JPG

For more info about creating a scheduled invoice in QBO, please visit this article: Schedule recurring transactions created with a template

Here's a great article that you may open to help manage your recurring transactions in QBO. 

Keep me posted if you have any other concerns when scheduling invoices in QBO. I'm always here to help. Have a great day ahead.

melissastratman
Level 1

I would love to underscore the need for this. Google lets us all schedule send now and to not have this feature on QBO begins to make it feel outdated. Please consider this an upgrade to keep you all relevant.  Thank you! 

jim52
Level 3

Agreed!   Having the ability to schedule a single invoice to be sent on a specific date would be VERY helpful! 

Come on QBO, lets catch up to your competitors.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@jim52 @mike32 @melissastratman @kbulger 

Consider having 2 apps as the workaround to do so for the time being.

The scheduler app

https://doist.grsm.io/todo_FL

The connector for QBO

https://www.integromat.com/?pc=quickbooks

Korinbooks
Level 1

Cannot stress how unlikely it is that I will do this workaround which is less convenient than my own manual tracking. 

Craig_H
Level 1

Agreed!

There's already a check box that says "send later." How hard can it possibly be to expand on that so when  it's checked it offers a radio button to either a date/time picker... or... wait for it... Choosing the already populated invoice date! :p

I can't believe this is one of the top search results for this topic at nearly 3 years old and this seemingly simple and incredibly valuable feature has yet to be implemented. The proposed workaround is clunky at best and is as stated is just a workaround. Can we bring in the dev team finally and make this a reality sometime before we all die of old age?

JasroV
QuickBooks Team

Nice to have you joined this thread, Craig.

I also admire you for sharing your thoughts and opinions about having the ability to send invoices by batch in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Currently, the option to do so isn't possible. I understand having this feature can aid you in seamlessly running your business. As an alternative, you can follow the workaround shared by my colleagues MaryJoyD and DivinaMercy_N in creating a recurring invoice

You can also utilize the Apps menu or visit our QuickBooks App Store page and browse for an app that has the feature you need. Once you've found one, review its comment and click Get app now when you're ready to link it to your QBO account.

In addition, you'll want to send your feedback to our Product Developer team. This way, they can review it and might consider adding it in future updates.

Furthermore, I got you this resource that provides complete details on how to modify your sales form to make your business unique: Customize invoices, estimates, and sales receipts in QuickBooks Online.

Know that you'll always have my attention whenever you have other queries about invoices or with your QBO account. Our door is always open to help you run your business flawlessly. Keep safe and have a great weekend!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us