cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpryslak
Level 2

HELP - Tennessee Unemployment SUTA requires electronic submission

Help.  Effective January 1, 2019 it is now MANDATORY in Tennessee to file state unemployment SUTA returns electronically.  When will QuickBooks Desktop Payroll support this submission?  We've been asking for this feature for several years with no feedback from Intuit.  Can we please get some feedback with a simple answer to:  will QuickBooks support this requirement or not?  If so, when?

See attached letter from the State of Tennessee.

Solved
Best answer December 19, 2018

Best Answers
PreciousB

Thanks for posting here in the Community, mpryslak.

I'm here to share some insights about the filing method of Tennessee Unemployment form.

At this time, the available filing method for Tennessee Unemployment form in QuickBooks Desktop is print and mail. We will soon provide payroll updates for when you can electronically this form in QuickBooks.

I'll also keep you posted on this thread as soon as an update is received. For more details, check out the Tennessee Payroll Tax Compliance article.

Please know that I'm always here if you have any questions. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
PreciousB

Thanks for posting here in the Community, mpryslak.

I'm here to share some insights about the filing method of Tennessee Unemployment form.

At this time, the available filing method for Tennessee Unemployment form in QuickBooks Desktop is print and mail. We will soon provide payroll updates for when you can electronically this form in QuickBooks.

I'll also keep you posted on this thread as soon as an update is received. For more details, check out the Tennessee Payroll Tax Compliance article.

Please know that I'm always here if you have any questions. Have a great day!

mpryslak
Level 2

Thank you very much for  a reply. 

The good news is that the link you provided finally acknowledges that electronic filing is now required. 

Is there a commitment to have the update completed before we're required to file in January 2019, about a month from now, or do we need to find another way to file our returns in January?

AlcaeusF

Hello there, mpryslak.

It's nice to have you in the Community. I'm here to provide information about filing Tennessee Unemployment in QuickBooks Desktop.

Right now, there's no specific turn around time as to when you'll be able to file this form electronically in the Desktop version. If the update is unavailable on or before the deadline, I recommend doing it manually through the state website.

Once there will be an update for the availability of e-filing, we'll update this thread. You can also check the article sent by my colleague @PreciousB from time to time if you want to verify if it's already available.

I'm here anytime have questions concerning the state form. You can reach out to me by posting a comment down below.

mpryslak
Level 2

Thank you again for a response. 

I truly don't understand Intuit's product development process.  If you look at the attached email from three years ago you will see when I first asked this question -- THREE YEARS AGO.  Fortunately, the State of Tennessee relented and delayed the penalty phase of the requirement and we have been able to use QuickBooks to print these returns.  But it doesn't look like there are going to be any more delays from the State of Tennessee.  Starting in just a few weeks we will not be able to process this tax form with our QuickBooks Payroll subscription, and your answer to just sit back and wait patiently until it is ready is utterly frustrating, again, because I and other Tennessee customers, have been waiting for THREE YEARS.  I've got multiple companies on QuickBooks Payroll and to manually submit this is going to be time consuming and error prone.  Please, escalate this question to the product development team and at least come back with a response that says directly, yes they are working on it now, or no, they haven't started working on it yet.  I can only assume there has been no activity to get this task done based on my experience of waiting THREE YEARS.  Please escalate this.

PreciousB

I appreciate your prompt response, mpryslak.

I've taken note of your experience. I'll go ahead and forward your feedback to our Product Developers. I'm hoping that you can also share your suggestions to them from your end. We're always here to make sure that you've stayed compliant to your state. Your contribution has a great impact to have this implemented.

To send your comments, please click the Help menu and choose Send Feedback Online.

For now, please submit your Tennessee SUTA forms through you state website.

I'll be here if there's anything else you need. Have a good one.

mpryslak
Level 2

I have submitted feedback on this issue in the past and have never received any type of reply.

Did you receive a reply from the product developers?  Again, the simple questions are:  will QuickBooks support this requirement or not?  If so, when?

Kristine Mae

Hello there, mpryslak.

We appreciate you submitting feedback. It was forwarded directly to our product engineers. The more requests a feature has, the more it is to be moved to the top priority list. 

We're unable to provide a timeline as to when this will be supported. For now, you'll want to submit the form electronically in your state agency's website.

I'm still here if you have other concerns though. I'm just a comment away.

mpryslak
Level 2

OK, I logged into the TN state system for submitting this information manually.  I also ran the QuickBooks desktop report, which when I first saw it I realized was created to give me the information the online system would be asking for.  However, when I got to the point of entering the detailed information for each employee, the TN system warned me,

"Our records show that you have never filed a report with this system.
In order to accurately calculate Excess Wages and the amount of Premium Due, be sure that the Prior Wage amount given for each employee is correct.

The calculation of Premium Due and any Excess Wages is based on the current taxable wage base. The taxable wage base is determined by the Trust Fund Balance as of December 31 of the prior year. Please visit https://www.tn.gov/workforce/article/ui-tax-rates for the current taxable wage base.
"

So my question is, how do I get the Prior Wage amount for each employee that I have in the 4th Quarter?  This amount is not printed on the QB Wage Report Worksheet.  See the attached .jpg file that shows what I'm seeing on the TN website.

The way I understand it is that if a particular employee has earned enough in the first three quarters (and we paid the premium for them) then we won't have to pay any more premium for that employee.

Thank you,

Mike Pryslak

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Hi mpryslak,

You can use the Payroll Detail Review report to see the employee's prior wages.

To get the report:

1. Click Reports.
  2. Click Employees & Payroll, then click Payroll Detail Review.
  3. Change the date of the report to see the wage base.
  4. Click Refresh.

This will help you with the filing.

Feel free to swing by anytime if you have more questions.

mpryslak
Level 2

Thank you!

pbhcpa
Level 2

Is there any update on filing a Tennessee Unemployment form electronically through QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced Payroll?

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Hi pbhcpa!

I know how convenient it is to file payroll tax forms in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll. I'm here to assist you.

Each state has its own methods to accept payments and forms. Currently, the state of Tennessee still don't accept electronic filing ang payment with QuickBooks. For now, you still have to manually print and mail them.

You can check the State pay and file methods section of this link to see which state accepts electronic payment and filings: E-file and e-pay state forms and taxes in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.

In addition, check our Payroll Tax Compliance page so you'll be updated with the state regulations.

Keep on posting here if you need more help with this. Take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us