cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfriddle
Level 1

Accepting payments with Health Savings Account Visa cards

Does anyone know how to accept Health Savings Account (HSA/FSA) Visa card payments through QuickBooks Payments? I'm using QuickBooks Online. Says "Card Declined," though my Square account would accept this form of payment.

Thank you.

Jamie

Solved
Best answer December 19, 2018

Best Answers
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Glad to see you here again, Melrose-Massage.

Allow me to share additional information about payment processing via GoPayments.

When processing payment transactions using Healthcards such as FSA and HSA, it involves a specific approval process. Currently, QuickBooks GoPayments isn't capable of accepting HSA, HRA, and FSA cards as payment methods since it isn't HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliant.

I'd recommend checking out any Third-Party applications or used a third-party device.

To visit QuickBooks Online’s app center, here’s how:

1. Login to your QuickBooks Online account.
  2. Go to Apps from the menu tab.
  3. Type in accept HSA , HRA and FSA patient credit cards.
  4. Click the magnifying glass to search.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have other questions about processing payments via GoPayment app. I'm always here to help.

View solution in original post

24 Comments 24
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @jfriddle.

I'm here to share some information about accepting payments through the Merchant Services Center.

QuickBooks Payments (Merchant Services) allows you to receive payments via a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express credit card types. Healthcare cards, such as HSA, HRA, and FSA have different ways of processing transactions regardless of their types. They need to go through an approval process with the healthcare companies when you swipe or insert their cards.

As of now, the program isn't capable of accepting Health Saving Account card as payment methods. However, you may use a third-party device, like a merchant processor to accept the payments. You can check and search for apps here: QuickBooks Apps.

If you think the option of using Healthcare cards in processing transaction/payments is what you need for your business, you can send this idea straight to our product engineers/developers for future updates. To send your feedback, you can check this: Send Feedback Online.

For additional reference about Health Insurance Privacy, you may check this: QuickBooks Online HIPAA compliant.

Our doors are always open here in the Community, stay in touch if you have any other QuickBooks Payments concerns. Have a wonderful day!

jfriddle
Level 1

Thanks for the thorough reply.

Jamie

Melrose-Massage
Level 1

So basically You are saying if we use our iPhone adapter with the GoPayment app (which I have ) :) the FSA and HSA cards will go through? I have a massage studio so this is a new thing that companies are wellness dollars so naturally the employees want to utilize their dollars. 

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Glad to see you here again, Melrose-Massage.

Allow me to share additional information about payment processing via GoPayments.

When processing payment transactions using Healthcards such as FSA and HSA, it involves a specific approval process. Currently, QuickBooks GoPayments isn't capable of accepting HSA, HRA, and FSA cards as payment methods since it isn't HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliant.

I'd recommend checking out any Third-Party applications or used a third-party device.

To visit QuickBooks Online’s app center, here’s how:

1. Login to your QuickBooks Online account.
  2. Go to Apps from the menu tab.
  3. Type in accept HSA , HRA and FSA patient credit cards.
  4. Click the magnifying glass to search.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have other questions about processing payments via GoPayment app. I'm always here to help.

Tmhennigan3
Level 1

I did search for "accept HSA payments" and the search returned no results. Does anyone know a specific app that will work? 

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Welcome and thanks for reaching out to the Community, Tmhennigan3.

I can point you in the right direction finding an application that will work with HSA card.

We’re unable to provide any suggestions or recommendations as to which third-party application to use. However, you can visit our AppCenter to check for supported merchant processor which allows you to process payments using your HSA card.

To narrow down your search, you can browse the apps per category or just enter a keyword in the search field. For example, select payment processing in the drop-down.

Stay in touch if you have any follow-up questions. Please know that I’m always here to answer them. Have a great rest of your day.

mhack
Level 1

Hello! 

I'm also trying to find a third party app to accept HSA cards for our company. When I am searching for the keyword HSA, it says there are no results. 

Can anyone help direct me a bit more?

Rose-A

Thanks for looping in, mhack.

Allow me to share additional information about accepting payments via HSA cards in QuickBooks Online.

We can't recommend on what application is best for you and your business. You can look for a third-party application that allows you to integrate and accepts payments in QuickBooks Online. Please visit our Apps page through this link: https://apps.intuit.com/app/apps/home.

To narrow down your search, you can browse the apps per category or just enter a keyword in the search field. Also, there's a community dedicated to developers and configuring of applications with QuickBooks. This site contains resources for software development, as well as the ability to ask fellow developers questions. You can find additional information about this at the following link: https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/homepage.

For additional help, you can also reach out to our QuickBooks Payments Support. You can get our most updated number here: https://community.intuit.com/browse/payments-contact-us.

You may find this article helpful: QuickBooks Payments Deposits FAQ.

Anytime you have questions about accepting payments in QuickBooks Online, you can post them here and I'd be happy to answer.

Gobucks821
Level 1

Hi, I found a contact address at Intuit for enabling FSA/HSA processing and am currently awaiting a reply. but it appears promising based on another article I found.

Apparently, you can indeed enable (at least for GoPayments, which is what I primarily use over the processing within the QuickBooks Pro desktop program) FSA and HSA acceptance. Just email to [email address removed] and include:

1.  The official name of your company
  2. Your full Intuit Merchant Account number (you can find this at the top-right of the page at https://merchantcenter.intuit.com)
  3. A description of the services/products you provide that make you an eligible vendor/provider for HSA/FSA transactions

I just did this and am awaiting a reply. Good luck!

lbrenner
Level 2

Was your request successful?

lbrenner
Level 2

@Gobucks821 - Are you able to accept HSA/FSAs yet?

CarlsonT
Level 1

I have a desktop version of Quickbooks and have been able to process several HSA cards yet now I cannot process them. I would appreciate any support. Thank you.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Carlson.

I appreciate you for joining the thread and raising your concern about the HSA cards. I'm here to help you process customer payments seamlessly.

To get started, I would like to know the specific errors you've received. This way, I can gather enough information and share with you the right amount of resolution. 

If the card/s gets declined, these could be the possible reasons:

• Funds are not available
  • Card is expired
  • Cardholder went over a specific limit (varies per card)

If that's the case, I would suggest giving a call on the phone number at the back of the card to know the status of the HSA.

Moreover, I've also added these links for more tips about setting up HSA payroll item in QuickBooks Dekstop:

If you have any other questions about HSA or when processing payments, please let me know by adding a comment below. I'm always here to help. Have a great day!

KOURTLAW
Level 1

Has anyone had any luck finding an app to accept HSA cards that is integrated with Quickbooks?

CharleneMaeF
QuickBooks Team

Finding an app that accepts HSA cards is achievable by going to our Intuit Marketplace page, KOURTLAW.

If you're using the desktop version, visit this link to search third-party applications: https://desktop.apps.com/home. As for online, browse this link to select the app you're looking for: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/app/apps/home/.

Additionally, I've included articles that will help you learn more about how to manage HSA in QuickBooks:

QuickBooks Desktop:

QuickBooks Online:

Feel welcome to get back on this thread if you'll need assistance in searching for an app. We're always here to help you

pam955
Level 1

I'm still confused about why my GoPayment doesn't accept HSA cards and how to correct? Does Intuit accept or not due to HIPAA compliance issues? I've gone to App store and didn't find a specific app that ensures HSA card acceptance. I've also read my account needs to have a certain medical code allowing HSA card to process. Please help.

Adrian_A

I'm here to share some information about the HSA cards, pam955.

With the new updates, you can now process payments using flexible spending cards  to pay for any medical expenses. Keep in mind that you need to send a request to our QuickBooks Payment team be authorized to accept this kind of payments. 

You will be authorized if your business type is one of IRS approved like medical, dental, vision or pharmacy practitioners. 

I've also added this reference for some common questions about payments deposits: How long does it take for my payments to deposit?

Keep me posted if there's anything that I can help with. I've got your back!

jtrout
Level 2

Unfortunately when I contact Quickbooks as an QB Pro Accountant, they do not understand how to correct this issue.  Also when I have them put me through to Merchant Services, they do not know how to fix this issue.  Can you point me to a QB article or something from QB support that points them in the right direction?  Also is there an email that I can send my request too as I am so tired of hours and hours on the phone with no help. 

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hi @jtrout,

This isn't the kind of service we want you to experience. I want to make sure your concern is taken care of.

For now, there isn't a specific email where you can send your authorization request to accept FSA/HSA payments. You'll need to contact our QuickBooks Payments Support team to send your request. I understand that you've contacted them multiple times, but they're the best support group you can handle your authorization request.

Once your request is accepted, you'll be ready to accept FSA/HSA cards in 2-3 business days if your business type is one of those IRS approved.

I'm adding this article for more details: Accept flexible spending cards.

You might also want to learn when QuickBooks Payments deposits customer payments. This article will provide you more information: Find out when QuickBooks Payments deposits customer payments.

Please know you can continue to reach me here with any additional questions. Thanks for coming to the Community, wishing you continued success.

ccbstx
Level 1

Quickbooks Online user:

I just got off the Intuit support service line for the 2nd time.  This time the rep explained it clearly.  

HSA cards cannot be used for Quickbooks online due to HIPPA.  However they can be used with an app (Quickbooks app/Go Payment).  This is true as it's my workaround before she mentioned it.  I am not sure what makes the app for HIPPA compliant?

Anyway,  I have been able to use HSA cards in years past (12 years as Quickbooks customer).Now, there is an "update."

I have another way to use cards via my EHR.  I will see about changing my transaction to them.  I just kept QuickBooks as it was part of my process.  

bcrutchleo
Level 1

Hello Adrian - do I need a card reader to use an HSA card? A lot of HSA cards do NOT have a chip and I understand you discontinued the 'swiper' and only have card readers that need chips now. So, can I manually type in an HSA card number into a sales receipt in QBO?  

JamaicaA
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your interest regarding using HSA cards with QuickBooks, @Leo. I'll address your concerns regarding accepting HSA card through card readers.

I see how essential the ability to enter HSA card manually into a sales receipt for you. However, this option is currently unavailable in QuickBooks Online.

See this article to learn more about the features of QuickBooks Payments card readers: QuickBooks Payments card reader features and compatibility.

Feel free to check out these resources in case you'd like to order a card reader and take payments through it:

Please don't hesitate to leave a reply below if you have further concerns about sales forms. We'll be right here to help you. Stay safe and have a good one.

StanPik
Level 3

Yep Im been on the phone for 20 minutes now I explain the problem 4 times to the same person  she has no clue. maybe you should train you support people? IDK?

StanPik
Level 3

This thread is a mess! Quickbooks you need to clean this up 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us