cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hweichselbaum
Level 1

SPL error in .IFF file

I get this error message when I try to download my credit card transactions in an .IIF format:  "Found a misplaced SPL line in import file".  If I respond "yes," I'm get the error message again, which suggests to me that the error occurs for every transaction.  Any ideas about how to solve it?

6 Comments 6
AlcaeusF

SPL error in .IFF file

Greetings, hweichselbaum.

Welcome to the Community space. I'm here to assist you with importing credit card transactions.

I can see that the attached product to your profile is QuickBooks Self-Employed. Importing IIF files are only available in the desktop version. You can import or export lists and transactions except for bank data.

For more information about IIF files, please visit this article:

IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers

If you're using the Mac version of QuickBooks, you can import your credit card transactions through the Web Connect feature. You can log into your bank's website to download the statement in QBO file format.

You can follow the steps below on how to import the transactions:

1. Go to the Banking tab.
  2. Select Downloaded Transactions.
  3. Choose Import File.

This article will show you the steps on how to import transactions through Web Connect:

Set up and use Online Banking (Mac)

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. If you need further assistance, you can add more details below. Best wishes. 

hweichselbaum
Level 1

SPL error in .IFF file

A, thanks so much for your quick response.  

I misspoke about QB SE.  Actually I have QB 2015 for Mac, V16.1.14R15.  So it is for the desktop!  Also the reason I am trying to use the .IIF file for my downloaded credit card transactions is that I couldn't get the .QBO file to work.  Do you have any idea how to fix the SPL error, since it is a desktop version?

Thanks for assistance!

hweichselbaum
Level 1

SPL error in .IFF file

AF, thanks so much for your quick response.  

I misspoke about QB SE.  Actually I have QB 2015 for Mac, V16.1.14R15.  So it is for the desktop!  Also the reason I am trying to use the .IIF file for my downloaded credit card transactions is that I couldn't get the .QBO file to work.  Do you have any idea how to fix the SPL error, since it is a desktop version?

Thanks for assistance!

hweichselbaum
Level 1

SPL error in .IFF file

Hi, you may not have read my post (or you may be a bot -- which is okay with me!).  Note that "Also the reason I am trying to use the .IIF file for my downloaded credit card transactions is that I couldn't get the .QBO file to work. "  I have had trouble with the QBO files every time I've changed credit card companies.  I was hoping I could get the IIF files to work.  Can you help with my specific question about the SPL error and whether it's relatively easy to fix.  It's ridiculous that I'm not able to do this on QB.

hweichselbaum
Level 1

SPL error in .IFF file

Hi AF, I hope you are well.  I've been entering my credit card transactions manually (whew) since our  discussion board exchange of last year.  But I'd like to try to solve it now that I have more time.  As I mentioned before, I am getting the SPL error when trying to import an .IFF file of credit card transactions from my bank because I couldn't get the .QBO file to work.  Can you help with my question about the SPL error and whether it's relatively easy to fix?  Thanks.

AlcaeusF

SPL error in .IFF file

Hello hweichselbaum.

Thank you for getting back to me with additional clarification. I'm here to help you with importing the credit card transactions into QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

When importing bank transactions in the Mac version, you can only use .QBO files for the Web Connect feature. Our system only supports IIF files to import and export lists and other transactions.

For more insight about what you can import, I'm adding the article I recommend on this:

IF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers.

Since you're unable to import QBO files, what you can do is edit the downloaded data and ensure the format is correct. For the detailed steps, please visit the article I'm adding below (scroll down to Edit the QuickBooks Web Connect):

Error: Nothing imported after importing a Web Connect (.qbo) file.

Please don't hesitate to ask for further assistance from me if needed. I'm always available here in the Community.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us