cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debcarlson
Level 1

Customer ID Number

We are trying to Intergrate information with our EDI provider for one customer.  How can we find the unique Customer ID number that QB automatically assigns?

12 Comments 12
debcarlson
Level 1

Customer ID Number

We have also tried to call Quick Books direct and its like no one knows what we are talking about.  This must be an automatic number that is assigned and hidden.  Any ideas of how to find out what it is for one customer?

Dwayne
QuickBooks Team

Customer ID Number

Hi Debcarlson,

I've seen that there is a "nameID" in the URL when you're going through customers. That's the most that I've seen available for customer info.

debcarlson
Level 1

Customer ID Number

Thanks Dwayne. 

Sincerely,

Deb

Dwayne
QuickBooks Team

Customer ID Number

You're welcome!

kth_
Level 1

Customer ID Number

Is this available in QB Desktop Enterprise? We are searching for a way to uniquely identify our customers (other than name). I assume there is a [possibly hidden] Primary Key that QB uses to keep track of our customers. Is that available?

Thanks.

debcarlson
Level 1

Customer ID Number

We are wondering the same thing.  It seems as though it is available, but hidden, with the online addition but not the desktop edition.

kth_
Level 1

Customer ID Number

Just spent an hour on the phone with QB Support. Currently, there is no way to see a unique customer ID (other than if the customer data is corrupted and you view a log file).

debcarlson
Level 1

Customer ID Number

Thank you so much for letting us know.

linearconcepts
Level 1

Customer ID Number

It is oversights like this that make QB maddening to troubleshoot sometimes. How can any respectable database not let you know what the unique identifier is for a customer record. *sigh*

At any rate, you can get it by doing an .IFF dump of the Customer table. Go to File|Utilities|Export and select "Lists to IFF Files...". Then slect "Customer List", OK and select a location to save the IFF file. It's just a text file. You can use Excel to open it. The Customer ID is the REFNUM field. You can search through it using the standard Excel methods: Click on the column header and then hit CTRL-F to search just that column.

Best of luck!

kenewills
Level 1

Customer ID Number

I have a program called SaasAnt:  Excel Transactions.  You can download all of the customer details including QBID.  Works great!

Megan-Payorcrm
Level 4

Customer ID Number

There is a linked id to uniquely identify a customer .

I work with a company called payorCRM which is basically a plugin for QB desktop and Online.You can go ahead an create a free account on our app and sync your QB data. You will be able to see the QB generated number under the column " customer number " on the app.

I doubt there is any other way to get this info .

amy-chin
Level 2

Customer ID Number

Hi. Thank you so much for this information. This is exactly what I'm looking for! Yes, I totally agree that it is a "fail" on QB's part not to have a unique id displayed or downloadable. I'm going to try that IFF download. Thank you!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us