cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonksGirl22
Level 1

Enhanced Payroll Renewal Cost

Instead of paying the $600+ cost of renewing enhanced payroll, has anyone ever uninstalled and purchased the current enhanced payroll for $200? Every year the renewal fee gets bigger and bigger! What is the benefit of renewing if you can purchase the current year version so much cheaper???

Solved
Best answer March 26, 2018

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day TonksGirl22.

Are you referring to our retail partner’s pricing? If so, this is because they purchase various products in bulk, which enables them to get larger discounts.

I suggest contacting our Payroll Support Team to discuss the different payroll options and help you choose the best offer.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

View solution in original post

49 Comments 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day TonksGirl22.

Are you referring to our retail partner’s pricing? If so, this is because they purchase various products in bulk, which enables them to get larger discounts.

I suggest contacting our Payroll Support Team to discuss the different payroll options and help you choose the best offer.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

ACI
Level 1

That's EXACTLY what I do every year... buy the new QuickBooks Pro Desktop bundled with Enhanced Payrolland install the QB Pro software. Once that is done, I call the Intuit Payroll Service support number, have them cancel my current subscription and activate the new (bundled) one. It's a little work but it's MUCH cheaper than renewing AND I get the new version of QB. 

I actually just finished doing this about 10 minutes ago. :-)

jcberg
Level 2

I wonder if this is true for a version that is just a year old?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for visiting the Intuit Community, jcberg.

Let me share a few things about the QuickBooks Desktop bundled with Enhanced Payroll. Once you purchase this offer from our retailed partner store, you'll also get the latest version. 

As  @ACI mentioned, it's a little work but then it's more affordable compared to renewing just the payroll subscription.

Once you've decided to get the bundled subscription, just contact our Payroll support so they can assist you with canceling your current subscription and activate the new one.

If you have additional questions with your payroll, please leave your comment below. Have a nice one.

jcberg
Level 2

Does the term of a 1 year subscription, is this 12 months of continuous time or is it calendar year only to Dec regardless of month of signing up?

FritzF

Hello, jcberg.

I want to make sure this is properly addressed for you.

Yes! If you're currently using QuickBooks payroll annual subscription, your subscription will renew by the time you reached the 12th month of usage. For more information about our payroll subscription and how it works, you can visit our site at: https://payroll.intuit.com.

Once you're on the site, scroll down and click Payroll for QuickBooks Desktop under Payroll Services. Also, I highly recommend contacting our Payroll Support team as what @Anonymous advised to discuss the different payroll options.

Here's how to reach them:

1. Go to http://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/.

2. Select your Payroll Subscription type.

3. Select a topic.

4. Click on the View Contact Info button.​

Don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have further questions. I'm always here to help.

Jwong
Level 1

After activating the new bundled subscription, do you still have all of the records from previously? Or is it wiped?

susan
Level 1

dont bother calling them- you will be on the phone for 2 hours and they can not give you a straight answer.

susan
Level 1

THE RENEWAL IS MOCH MORE THANTHE PURCHASING AT THE STORE. NOT TO MENTION DONT BOTHER CALLING THEM, BECAUSE YOU WILL GET NO SUPPORT., ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NOT PAID FOR THAT EXTRA IN ORDER TO GET THE SUPPORT. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU AT ALL. SECONDLY, DONT BOTHER CALLING THEM, YOU WILL BE ON THE PHONE 2 HOURS AND NEVER GET AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, Susan,

I want to make sure your concern gets taken care of.

I don't want you waiting that long for support when you have me right here! May I know what's going on and how can I help you get back to business? You can provide me the details of your concern on this thread, and I would be glad to check on it for you.

I appreciate your time today, and I'm looking forward to your response. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime.

lbiv
Level 2

I just called to see if I could get a discount on the renewal fee of $650.  She said she could only give me 10% but I could buy it cheaper from the retail store.  Even the people working for QB recommend it. That's crazy.

MaryGraceS

Hi there, @Jwong and @lbiv.

Thank you for visiting the Community. I'm here to help share some information about the enhanced payroll renewal cost. 

Let me address first @Jwong's question. Yes, you still have all the old records in your account after activating the new subscription.

We just need to make sure that it'ss registered and activated on the correct account. If you need help checking the activation status, feel free to reach out to our Payroll Support.

They have the tools to verify that you have the latest payroll service in the account and in QuickBooks. For more details, I recommend checking this article: Activate QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic, Standard, or Enhanced.

Next, let me address @lbiv's question. As what @LilyC mentioned, the payroll service from the retail store is cheaper because they purchase various products in bulk, which enables them to get larger discounts.

Also, the renewal fee is based on the type of payroll service you're using. It's possible that you have the Standard Payroll service.

It is more expensive because it's on older legacy technology, and therefore requires more resources to support and maintain it to make sure that your tax table is updated.

To know which service you have activated in QuickBooks Desktop, go to Employees> My Payroll Service> Manage Service Key. In the QuickBooks Service Keys window, find the payroll service name in the SERVICE NAME list.

To check pricing structure that will fit your business better and the features that you need, I recommend checking the articles below: 

If you need help checking, the type of payroll you're using or additional questions about the payroll features, feel free to reach out to our Payroll Support. They have the tools to check your account securely.  

Here's how to reach them:

1. Go to http://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/.

2. Select your Payroll Subscription type.

3. Select a topic.

4. Click on the View Contact Info button.​

Drop a comment below if you have any other questions about payroll. I'll be happy to help you further. 

gme
Level 1

I have used QB w/Enhanced Payroll for at least 10-15 years, and the way Intuit handles payroll renewal infuriates me. It makes no sense whatsoever. The logic provided on this page -- that the retail stores buy in bulk, so they can offer the new software cheaper, and that payroll renewal is more expensive because it's based on older technology and costs more to maintain" could be very easily resolved. First, Intuit IS the software company -- they're not BUYING the software. They can sell it at whatever price they want. They're obviously making money off of purchases from Sam's Club or Costco, or they wouldn't be doing it. If they offered the same products online for the same price, do you really think they'd be losing money? If they don't want people using the "old" (sometimes only one year old) QuickBooks software, then offer that as part of the online payroll renewal. They are charging for convenience, plain and simple, which would be acceptable if the renewal price wasn't so insanely high. They provide no additional services for the huge renewal fee -- all you get is the privilege to have your software continue working the way it has been. What's the reason, Intuit, that you don't offer the option to upgrade to the newest QuickBooks version along with the payroll renewal? People would pay a little extra to get that from you rather than the big box stores.

gme
Level 1

My comment is not posting, so if it ends up posting multiple times, I apologize. I'll try again...

I have used QB w/Enhanced Payroll for at least 10-15 years, and the way Intuit handles payroll renewal infuriates me. It makes no sense whatsoever. The logic provided on this page -- that the retail stores buy in bulk, so they can offer the new software cheaper, and that payroll renewal is more expensive because it's based on older technology and costs more to maintain" could be very easily resolved. First, Intuit IS the software company -- they're not BUYING the software. They can sell it at whatever price they want. They're obviously making money off of purchases from Sam's Club or Costco, or they wouldn't be doing it. If they offered the same products online for the same price, do you really think they'd be losing money? If they don't want people using the "old" (sometimes only one year old) QuickBooks software, then offer that as part of the online payroll renewal. They are charging for convenience, plain and simple, which would be acceptable if the renewal price wasn't so insanely high. They provide no additional services for the huge renewal fee -- all you get is the privilege to have your software continue working the way it has been. What's the reason, Intuit, that you don't offer the option to upgrade to the newest QuickBooks version along with the payroll renewal? People would pay a little extra to get that from you rather than the big box stores. 

Rose-A

Good day, gme.

I'm here to help and share additional information about QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.

As LilyC mentioned above, retail stores usually purchase QuickBooks wholesale or in bulk. Thus, they are able to acquire them at a cheaper price. In turn, it also gives them the opportunity to re-sell the product at a lesser price. Nevertheless, we have a great lineup of products that you can choose from. If you have enough time, our Payroll Support Team can look into your current business needs so that we can choose the best fit for you.

QuickBooks Desktop is the accounting software that allows you to keep track of your business' finances. On the other hand, the payroll subscription is an add-on service to QuickBooks that enables payroll-related enhancements to the software like automatic tax calculations in employee paychecks and more.

The changes in payroll regulations are increasingly frequent and complex, and we take care of them for you by ensuring that our tax tables are always up to date, so you stay compliant with the government.

Here are some articles that you might find helpful:

Keep us posted if there's anything else you need or if you require more information about payroll. Have a good one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey ACI,

If you uninstall QB and then install the new version, do you just "restore company file" on the newest QB version to get all of your data, history, etc. back?

Second question, my enhanced payroll subscription JUST auto renewed in the last 1.5 months, but I also now HAVE to buy QB Pro 2019. Do you know how QB payroll support handles that? Do I get a "credit" for the unused portion of my CURRENT subscription or? (My renewal was $500 for the year.) If I buy QB pro WITHOUT enhanced payroll it's about $200, so I'd be out $700 this year vs. if I pay $300 for QB WITH enhanced payroll, I'd save myself approximately $400 (give or take whatever credit I should get if that's really how it works.) But if I do NOT get a substantial credit, it would be better THIS year to still buy QB without enhanced payroll subscription and just "be on it" next year. So I'd love your user expertise.

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, rachelb_.

Allow me to provide some insights about upgrading QuickBooks to the latest version and guide you to the right support. 

Before you uninstall your QuickBooks, you'll need to create backup copies for your company file. Once you install the new version of your QuickBooks, you can restore the backup copy you created to transfer the data from the old version to the new one. 

For additional reference, you can check these articles: 

At Intuit, we value our relationship with you as a QuickBooks user. Your account security is one of our top priorities here in the QuickBooks Community. Since your concern about the renewal amount requires gathering of personal information, and to make sure this issue will be addressed properly, I'd suggest contacting our QuickBooks Customer Care Team. 

Here's how you can contact our care support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel.
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

I'm only a couple of clicks away if you have additional questions about the QuickBooks service. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I understand you cannot give detailed answers regarding my personal account. However, can you tell me, if my renewal has already taken place, but I get an "equal year's subscription" worth when I purchase the new Quick Books, will I get a pro-rated refund (at least) for the months of the renewal subscription that I did not use?

Another way to ask this, would be . . .if I QUIT my Enhanced Payroll subscription, will I get a pro-rated refund?

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to me, @Anonymous.

As much as I would love to get this handled directly, refund discussion needs to check your account and billing history which requires your company information, and I am unable to do in this public forum for security purposes.

That is why I encourage you to contact our QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Support Team so they can take a look at your account to review about the pro-rated refund for the months that you're not able to use the service.

Please know that you're always welcome to post again if you have other concerns about the payroll service. Have a good one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Somewhat separate question. How does the "new one year enhanced payroll subscription" with the newly installed quick books get "turned on" if I "restore with my backup copy" my qb info/data? Or do I have to make two separate calls?? (One to "cancel" my subscription and then one to "turn it back on" with the new quick books somehow?)

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your prompt response, @Anonymous.

Allow me to step into this conversation and provide some clarification about turning on your payroll subscription.

If you've restored a backup copy of your company file with the payroll subscription, you can re-validate your service key to make your payroll active again. That said, there's no need for you to call in to cancel your payroll subscription. This is only possible if you're going to upgrade your QuickBooks before May 31, 2019.

To re-validate your service key you'll need to log in and log out into your QuickBooks Account's Maintenance page. 

Let me guide you how:

1. Click on Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on My Payroll Service.
  3. Choose Account/Billing Information.
  4. Then, sign in and sign out on the Account's Maintenance page.

sk1.PNGsk2.PNG

Once done, you can run a payroll update to ensure that your tax table is updated to the latest release.

For more details about activating payroll in QuickBooks Desktop, please refer to these articles:

This should get you going today.

Don't hesitate to reach back out to me if you have any other questions about this concern. I'd be pleased to help you out. Happy weekend and take care.

jpaulk1216
Level 1

I DON'T WANT TO SHOP AT A BOX STORE!  I DON'T WANT TO WASTE AN HOUR OF MY LIFE ON HOLD WITH QUICKBOOKS TO RENEW! I, too, have been a Quickbooks customer for many years and the renewal process seems to get more complicated every year.  Why not give existing customers an option:  Would you like to renew your Quickbooks and Payroll subscription now?  Yes or no.  Easy peasy.  Geez.   

JessT

Hi there, jpaulk1216.

The payroll from retail stores is considered a new subscription. We will activate it for you and we’ll need to move your EIN under. This is the reason why you need to contact us.

Having an option to do things on your own can be easier and can save you time. I'll personally bring up your idea to our product development team, so they can create options for users during payroll renewal.

We're just around if you have more questions.

RickInHouston
Level 3

The chat person says I need to enter my employees and all their information again.  Is that true?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us