cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenTam
Level 5

Delete a payment

I want to know how to delete a payment to an invoice?

TIA

Solved
Best answer October 22, 2018

Best Answers
JamesDuanT

Delete a payment

Hello Ben,

In addition to Lynda's answer, here's how you can view the deposit payment for the said invoice:

1. Open the affected invoice.

2. There are two tabs on the right-panel of the Create Invoices window.

3. Go to the Transaction tab.

4. Under RELATED TRANSACTIONS, it will show the deposit you use as the payment.

5. Click the deposit transaction. It will open the Make Deposits window.

6. Click Edit at the top menu, and select Delete Deposit (Ctrl + D).

7. Click OK to confirm the action.

After deleting the deposit, it will open the invoice again.

I'll be around if you need more assistance with this.

View solution in original post

59 Comments 59
lynda
Community Champion

Delete a payment

Good evening @BenTam:

Get the Customer payment window open on the screen.  On the top toolbar you should see a delete button.   Now  if you get a warning saying you must delete it from the deposit first, you will need to delete the payment from the deposit first, save and close.  Then Delete the payment.

i hope that helps, if not, feel free to ask more questions.

lynda

BenTam
Level 5

Delete a payment

Thanks for your reply.

I follow your way and get the message "You need to delete this payment from the deposit before you can delete the transaction itself..." However I fail in finding the deposit record for this payment.

Could show me how to see the deposit record for such payment?

JamesDuanT

Delete a payment

Hello Ben,

In addition to Lynda's answer, here's how you can view the deposit payment for the said invoice:

1. Open the affected invoice.

2. There are two tabs on the right-panel of the Create Invoices window.

3. Go to the Transaction tab.

4. Under RELATED TRANSACTIONS, it will show the deposit you use as the payment.

5. Click the deposit transaction. It will open the Make Deposits window.

6. Click Edit at the top menu, and select Delete Deposit (Ctrl + D).

7. Click OK to confirm the action.

After deleting the deposit, it will open the invoice again.

I'll be around if you need more assistance with this.

BenTam
Level 5

Delete a payment

Hi James,

After pushing the [Delete] button, I got the following message. It shows two options: [OK] & [Cancel]. Will I have "unpaid balances" if I choose [OK]?

This payment has been used to pay invoices/statement charges.  Deleting it will cause the invoices/statement charges to have unpaid balances.  Do you want to delete it anyway?

JamesDuanT

Delete a payment

Hello again, Ben.

Yes, clicking the OK option will delete the deposit. Thus, making the invoice open again.

Let me know if you need anything else.

BenTam
Level 5

Delete a payment

James, thanks for your reply.

brickclnr
Level 1

Delete a payment

What if the payment is not listed on Payments that you have received and I do not have an invoice for this payment.. Only listed in the Deposit Icon at the top of Quickbooks

JamesDuanT

Delete a payment

Thanks for joining the thread, brickclnr.

Do you want to make the payment as credit for the customer's future invoices? Or you want to delete it?

I'll be around to further assist you.

alisabuckland
Level 1

Delete a payment

So I have followed everyones directions on how to delete a payment but it is doing absolutely nothing.  I am not even sure how my quickbooks is EVEN making a "payment" because I am doing things correctly.  I even called and they said they couldn't help.  If a payment is so old after you have balanced for the month, are you just stuck with a credit?  

Send help!! I've been trying to fix this for months and can't get anywhere. :'(

MJoy_D

Delete a payment

Hello, @alisabuckland.

You can remove a payment from the Undeposited Funds account. The payment no longer appears in the Payments to Deposit window when you make deposits.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Lists menu and choose Chart of Accounts.
  2. In the Chart of Accounts, double-click Undeposited Funds to open the register.
  3. Click the deposit you want to delete from the Register.
  4. Go to the Edit menu and select Delete Payment.

For additional reference about depositing payments into the Undeposited Funds account in QuickBooks Desktop, check out this article.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm a few clicks away to help. Have a good day!

Sstoro
Level 1

Delete a payment

Is this for the online version?  I'm in the affected invoice but do not see a transactions tab.  The payment I need to delete effected 3 invoices do I need to delete the payment one by one?  

JenoP

Delete a payment

The steps shared in this thread is for QuickBooks Deskrop, Sstoro.

Also, you only need to delete one payment if it was applied to the 3 transactions. Then, the invoices will automatically be opened again.

Let me share the steps on you how can do this in the online version. Here's how:

1. Click the 1 payment made link in the upper-right hand corner of the affected invoice. This is just below the PAID status. 
  2. Click the date of the payment.
  3. Once the payment is opened, click More at the bottom and select Delete.
  4. Click Yes

Please take note that deleting a transaction in QuickBooks Online can not be undone. 

You'll also want to run the Invoices and Received Payments report. It lists all payments you’ve received and the invoices that go with them. Just go to the Reports menu and type in Invoices and Received Payments in the search bar. 

Let me know if you need more help while working in QuickBooks Online. I'd be glad to get back here and offer my assistance again.

delete payment.PNGdelete payment 2.PNG

Sstoro
Level 1

Delete a payment

When I click More from they payment and hit delete it sends me an error message

"Somethings not quite right!

This transaction has been deposited.  If you want to change or delete it, you must edit the deposit it appears on and remove first."

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to do something else before I delete the payment?

If I need to edit the deposit - how do I find the deposit? 

Thank you,
Shannon 
Maybelle_S
QuickBooks Team

Delete a payment

Thanks for getting back to us, @Sstoro.

Before deleting the payment transaction, we'll need to remove it first from the deposit account.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Accounting menu, and then choose the Chart of Accounts.
  2. Choose the account you want to run, and then select View register. This will let you view all the sales receipts and payments connected to the deposit.
  3. From there, remove the checkmark from payments you want to delete. This will remove the transactions from the deposit.
  4. Click Save once done.

You can identify if the transaction was already reconciled if it has the letter R in the Reconciliation box before making changes. Make sure you add it back in order not to encounter any errors the next time you reconcile.

I'm also adding here some resources that you can check out about managing sales transactions in QBO for future reference: 

Don't hesitate to drop a comment below if you have other questions. I'm more than happy to help. Take care!

UK EMON
Level 1

Delete a payment

How to delete many payment received from customer at a time ?

UK EMON
Level 1

Delete a payment

Hi Jenop,

thanks for your nice info, but can you tell me how can i delete all payment against sales invoice in a same time rather than clicking one by one.

Thanks 

Roni

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Delete a payment

Thanks for checking in with us. We always strive to provide the best experience with the product, UK EMON.

I know how beneficial it is to your business to bath delete the invoice payments. However, this option is unavailable in QuickBooks Online (QBO). What we can do is to open per invoice to delete them. Let me show you how: 

1. Go to the Sales menu and select Invoices.
  2. Look for the paid invoice and click it to open.
  3. On the upper right-hand corner, tick the payment made link.
  4. Tap the payment date to open the transaction.
  5. Check the box for the paid invoices you wanted to delete.
  6. Hit More and select Delete
  7. Once prompted, hit Yes.
  8. Press Save and close.

You can also run the Invoices and Received Payments report to view the list of your paid invoices. Simply go to Reports and search for Invoices and Received Payments. As we assess this opportunity, I recommend visiting these blogs for any upcoming QuickBooks updates and enhancements:

Visit our Sales and customers page for more insights about managing your company's income and customers.

The Community will always have your back if you need a hand with customizing your reports or any QBO related. Assistance is just one post away.

Andrew93
Level 1

Delete a payment

Hello,

First, thank you for your help everyone. The issue I am having is, I have two payments of the same amount that has been applied to 1 invoice. I believe the reason why this happened was because the person who entered the payment believed an invoice didn't exist and didn't believe the client was in quickbooks so she created a new client but spelled their name slightly differently, she then applied the payment but later this was merged with the original client record. I can't seem to find out how to delete the payment. I've tried everything in this thread and it still says "payment must be deleted". How can I find this payment to delete it? Thank you for your help with this.

Maybelle_S
QuickBooks Team

Delete a payment

Thanks for joining the thread, @Andrew93.

I can help delete the payments in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Here's how:

1. Go to the Sales menu.
  2. Click Customers.
  3. Select the customer's name and proceed to the Transaction List tab.
  4. Locate and click the payment to open it.
  5. Click the More option at the bottom and choose Delete.
  6. Select Yes to complete the process.

I've also added this article about deleting transactions in QBO: Void or delete transactions.

Get back to us if you have other questions. We're happy to help you more. Take care!

Andrew93
Level 1

Delete a payment

Thank you for your response Mary. I'm actually using QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020. I had 2 payments of the exact same amount going to the same exact invoice deposited. I was successful in deleting one payment following the directions in this thread. However, it now shows the invoice as unpaid even though I have a payment made towards it. I want to delete this payment since it is not reflecting towards the invoice. I looked under "undeposited funds" and there is nothing there. How can I delete this payment? Thank you in advance.

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Delete a payment

I'm here to share additional information to help you delete your duplicate payments, @Andrew93.

Let's start by making sure that your QuickBooks software is updated to the latest version. Here's how:

1. While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu.
  2. Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Choose the Options tab.
  4. Select Mark All and then click Save.
  5. Go to the Update Now tab and select the Reset Update checkbox.
  6. When you're ready, select Get Updates.

Once completed, let's close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop to make sure that all components are updated. Now, let's run your Transaction List by Customer report. This is to review if the other invoice payment is still applied to the invoice. 

On the other hand, you can delete all the payments that have been made then re-apply and deposit them. Let's delete the deposit first so we can completely delete the invoice payments. Here's how:

1. Click on Lists at the top menu bar.
  2. Go to the Chart of Accounts tab.
  3. Select the bank where the invoice payments were deposited.
  4. Locate and open the deposit. 

g1 open the deposit.PNG

5. Press Ctrl+D on your keyboard.
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Select OK when asked to delete the transaction.

Now, you can re-apply the invoice payments and deposit them. You can read through this article for more detailed instructions: Record an invoice payment.

Feel free to get back to us here if you have other questions about managing your income-related transactions. I'm always here to help. 

Andrew93
Level 1

Delete a payment

Thank you for your response. After following your instructions, deleting that deposit makes a number appear over the "Record Deposits" button. Please see the attached for reference. Then from there, I clicked the "customers" shortcut button on the far left and found the customer. I found the payment and double clicked on it and it opened up the "customer payment" function. I clicked on the "delete" button on the top but it still says "you need to delete this payment from the deposit before you can delete the transaction itself, or edit its name or amount". What did I do wrong? Thank you again for any help you may be able to provide.

Jovychris_A

Delete a payment

Hello there, @Andrew93.

Thanks for following the steps. In addition to IamjuvViel's answer, you'll need to delete the deposit payment for the invoice.

Here's how:

1. Open the invoice transaction in question.
  2. On the right panel of the Invoice window, select the Transaction tab.
  3. Under RELATED TRANSACTIONS on the right pane, it will show the deposit you used as the payment.
  4. Click the deposit transaction (it will appear as the Make Deposits window).
  5. Click Edit at the top menu, and select Delete Deposit (Ctrl D).
  6. Then hit OK to confirm.

Once deleted, you can go to the Undeposited Funds account on the Chart of Accounts. Deleting deposits with payments that are deposited under the Undeposited Funds will make it available to the Payments to Deposit window. Then delete the payment transaction manually from there.

These tracks will help remove the deposit as well as the payment transaction.

For additional insights about depositing payments into the Undeposited Funds account in QuickBooks Desktop, check out this article.

Feel free to place a comment anytime you need assistance with QuickBooks. I'm here to help you always. Stay safe and more power to your business!

Andrew93
Level 1

Delete a payment

Thank you for your response. I opened the invoice but there was no payment to it, but the payment to that invoice still shows. Payment screenshot.PNG

This screenshot above shows payment but when I go into the invoice, it shows as the invoice not being paid. I have to delete a bunch of these as the person who entered these payments did so somehow even though they were already paid. That's why i'm trying to learn how to delete it and I will apply it to the rest of these and re-enter them.

related transactions.PNG

Please note that there is nothing in "related transactions" on the right.

recorddeposit.PNG

However, that payment is no longer in my "payments to deposit" window anymore. What do I need to do from here to remove it from the "Customer Information" window under the "transactions" tab? Thank you for your help with this.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us