Best option to correct Credit Card payment detail after reconciled?

This year all (hundreds) of Credit Card entries were entered using reconcile bank stmt, write checks, card name, total amount of CC statement with “miscellaneous” for account and “class” blank.

My bad training obviously. Her goal was focused on getting all reconciled, regardless if classified properly.

My rental home business is set up using Class for each property.

Many items are purchased to be used on all properties, hence splits required.

With 3 credit cards, about 25 transactions per month, there’s a boatload of corrections that’s overwhelming.

I’ve used the CC feature (to assign class/splits) but It appears it’s too late for that option with everything reconciled. 

The only way I’m aware to correct is go to banking, pull up the checks, delete miscellaneous, enter each transaction (up to 6 times for splits)... This will take forever!

Please, any better options, suggestions or recommendations are truly appreciated. 

Thank you

Company is set up my classes each class is a rental property. I am the property manager/owner/operatorfor all. 

Answer

You never use Journal Entries for credit card spending. You want to use Banking menu > Enter Credit Card Charges. Now you can list actual payee = purchased from, and the date you bought it, and details go here, on the Expenses and the Items tab.

Let's break this out a bit:

"(hundreds) of Credit Card entries were entered using reconcile bank stmt, write checks"

They are not Checks. They are Credit Card Charges.

"card name, total amount of CC statement with “miscellaneous” for account and “class” blank."

You would only have one entry for the Checking entry that pays against the Credit Card; on that check, on the expenses tab, you put Credit Card Type account that you have in your charge of accounts. This isn't the Spending. This is the Payment of your card debt balance.

"My bad training obviously. Her goal was focused on getting all reconciled, regardless if classified properly."

It is very easy to rereconcile an account. Don't let that prevent your from Fixing the data.

"Many items are purchased to be used on all properties, hence splits required."

Start out like this:

Banking menu > Enter Credit Card Charge, for every Charge you made.

"With 3 credit cards, about 25 transactions per month, there’s a boatload of corrections that’s overwhelming."

It's not overwhelming. It's Important and it doesn't take any longer to do it right, than to do it over using any method at all. So, let's use the Right Method.

"I’ve used the CC feature (to assign class/splits) but It appears it’s too late for that option with everything reconciled."

No, it's never too late, and that is Good News!

The Checking payments against the Credit Card provider are all you need to edit, then. On the Expenses tab, change from MISC to your CC account in QB. The Banking entry will not unreconcile."

Then use the credit card statements to Reconcile the CC account.

The only way I’m aware to correct is go to banking, pull up the checks, delete miscellaneous, enter each transaction (up to 6 times for splits)... This will take forever!"

No, never put the splits, here. This is your Debt Balance Payment; this is not when you bought Supplies. Never enter the same info Twice.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
AllStar
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Qb community
Looking for advice from other business owners?

Visit our QuickBooks Community site.