Is there anyway to build multiple Assemblies under the same Item Number, but with different components?

For example: I want to create 4x Assembly A, all retailing at $100. The first Assembly A would contain A, B, C, D. The second Assembly A would contain B, C, D, E. and etc. So each assembly will contain some similar items but not entirely the same components. 

I am currently getting the error message that I am unable to edit the assembly as long as I have an on hand quantity of that assembly. This means that in order to create what I need, I'll need a separate Item Number for each Assembly - Is that true? 

We've tried creating group items but that does not fit our needs as we need to track the sales for each group, hence, looking at assemblies instead. 

Please advise, thank you!

Answer

"One of our bottling plants provides the empty bottles as part of their service, the other does not."

Did you list the Bottles, anyway? You can use Group item, like this: We bought X service and Qty Bottles. So Bottles are always part of the Production, if your product is Bottled Beverage, obviously  :smile:

Or, you sometimes get them In Bottles, and sometimes have to Bottle it?

Again, this isn't really QB, so much as this is: once you define your production process(es), you set up QB to manage the data per that process.

"The final product is identical, so same inventory assembly item."

The same end Product. Not necessarily the same Build or part of the Build, though. Example: One production line has a labeler and one does not. So, we need to Build omitting Labels. Then, we manually label and we use Adjust inventory, to reduce the Count of labels on hand and invest that cost into the Assembly just produced, manually and not part of the Build, for that specific production run.

"Therefore, we maintain bottle inventory as a raw material, but it only goes into the build assemblies at the one facility, along with the service item for filling."

The details are: Sometimes D is not used, and we have a Manual Adjustment; or, D is replaced with a Noninventory or Service or Other Charge item that would be WIP accounting, then.

"When doing a build at the other facility, we have no bottle inventory to reduce, and the service is different in that it provides that bottle. Here, a difference in cost DOES matter - unless I'm mistaken, the build assembly function pulls costs for service items from the cost field in the item record"

You are supposed to Manage this. It needs to match your Reality. You are describing WIP = work in process = Other Current Asset. You Purchase something that you want to show is invested in the end product. Inventory is an Asset, so WIP is also an Asset.

You want a Service Item, Noninventory and/or Other Charge item(s) linked to WIP. You can use as many as you need for clarity in your reporting. Example: I have a client that manufactures Sports equipment overseas (balls) and everything we first enter is WIP: WIP balls, broker fees, pallet costs, import duties, etc. Then, you can Build, or "buy" from WIP, or Adjust inventory = three different ways to Fully Cost production on hand as inventory. Nothing uses a generic value in any stage of the game.

For example, you have provider that includes bottles, so that might be a purchase as Group Item = your "service" as WIP, + Bottles as inventory, no different than when you Buy Bottles yourself. A bottle is a bottle, no matter how you got it, since you Need it, to make what you make. Instead of dealing with it at the end (production) you need to show When you got it = that purchase inclusive of bottles. Or, you don't need Group at all. You can list Bottles, qty X, at $0 Cost. The point is that the Service needs to be properly Costed and sitting in WIP.

Remember, I am doing this without knowing what this "service" is. The Service links to WIP. It's hard to imagine how you can bottle a Service? Just sayin' Are you sure you didn't get a Liquid? With a Unit of measure and Quantity?

When I Pay for that Service, when it includes Bottles, I still use Qty for the Group item. Like this:

Service item <== regular purchase; or,

Group = "complete kit" as Service item (it will require a qty, so 1); and Bottle item qty 1.

Now, with either method, Service Cost is in WIP. And Bottles are "on hand" from the Service provider, or already on hand from your own purchases. Now you have a Level Playing field ready for production.

"not from previous transactions. So I'll have different service items (Eg Filling1 and Filling2) to track the differences."

But there is no difference, now. That's the point.

And sometimes, you don't need Build at all. You use Adjust inventory or "buy from WIP" is also a method that works fine. Just because you see certain tools exist, doesn't mean you have to use them, or use them for every type of thing you do, or use them when they are not really the right method for how you operate.

I don't know that we are at the end; I hope this gives you some things to consider. This simply is a Production Management Work Flow; it is called Sequence of Events, or SOE. Once you figure out the SOE for data flow, you an use QB tools to do it, and Build is one of many tools that exist.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
AllStar
4 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Qb community
Looking for advice from other business owners?

Visit our QuickBooks Community site.