My client's credit card was declined for a recurring payment. How do I charge it again?

The first recurring charge for this customer went through, the second was declined. He has since given me a different credit card. How do I re-run the charge that was declined?

Answer

Hi there, merry.

I’d be glad to ensure your concern about credit card payment is properly addressed.

To start, your customer's credit card may decline for several possible reasons.

When processing payments, make sure that your client’s credit card information is up-to-date.  Then, try re-entering the cardholder's name, card number, and expiration date correctly, and process the transaction again. 

Here’s how:

1. Click Sales or Invoicing from the left menu.
  2. Select Customers at the top.
  3. Choose the customer you want to edit.
  4. Click Edit in the upper left.
  5. Note: If you can't see the Edit button, you need to set up the credit card payment methods in the Payment List.

6. Go to the Payment and Billing tab.
  7. Under Preferred payment method, select a credit card.
  8. Enter credit card information.
  9. Click Save.

Once completed, you may recreate the Sales transaction or re-send the invoice to your client.  Don’t forget to void or delete the invoice or sales transaction that has the declined credit card information to avoid getting duplicate records.

If the same problem occurs, I'd suggest contacting our QuickBooks Payment team. They'll be able to securely access your account and check what's causing this to happen. 

To reach them, click this link Which Payments product do you need help with?. The phone number and hours of operations are listed in the QuickBooks Payments section. 

Feel free to visit the Community site if you have other concerns, or if there’s anything else you need. I'm always here to help. Have a great rest of your day!
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
Employee SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Qb community
Looking for advice from other business owners?

Visit our QuickBooks Community site.