How do I enter checks/payments into QuickBooks as quickly as I receive them, rather then waiting until I make a deposit and listing everything then.

I have taken over the "Treasurer's" position for a Non-Profit board and am working with QuickBooks 2010 Premier. It has been so long since I've worked with QuickBooks. A little refresher/tips would be appreciated with this question: We receive membership applications/renewals year round. How do I enter those checks into QuickBooks as quickly as I receive them, rather then waiting until I make a deposit and listing everything then. The membership applications are not sales or invoices generated in QuickBooks so this would be the first "entry" of them into the system. To name a few accounts we have off hand, we have "Checking - Bank", "Membership Dues - Income", "Undeposited Funds - Other Current Asset." Any tip where to file these prior to entering a deposit and then what to do when entering the deposit would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the Accounting 101 question.

Answer

QB 2010 reached end of life in May 2013. It won't run on new computers and was not meant to run on W7 or newer.

Fortunately, you have Help menu > Learning Center video Tutorials. Since 2015, they are no longer in the program, but here:

Desktop PC program video tutorials

"The membership applications are not sales or invoices generated in QuickBooks"

Yes,  you will use Sales Receipt. Make sure this file is using Undeposited Funds. This is a Dated activity.

Then you later use Make Deposit and select for the date of deposit.

Please see my attachments.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
AllStar

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Qb community
Looking for advice from other business owners?

Visit our QuickBooks Community site.