Need help on selling a fixed asset

Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to QB and haven't done my own bookkeeping in over 20 years, so please consider me a newbie.  I did search previous answers but couldn't find what I was looking for.  

My company owned an aircraft, which was sold in 2017.  I have not made any entries yet regarding the sale.  I have a fixed asset account and accumulated depreciation account that only have the aircraft value and depreciation in them.  I have been paid for the aircraft, and I have collected the GST from the sale, but again, I have not made any entries surrounding the sale of this fixed asset.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to show the sale in QB's, including the GST.  Should I create an invoice?  The sale was brokered, and I was paid by the brokerage firm.  Should the invoice be made out to the brokerage firm, or to the actual purchaser?  Other than a deposit of the money, what other transactions do I need to make to remove the aircraft from my books?  

By the way, there was a very small gain in asset value from the sale.  

Any help is very much appreciated.

Bruce

Answer

"I have not made any entries yet regarding the sale.  I have a fixed asset account and accumulated depreciation account that only have the aircraft value and depreciation in them."

Your Chartered accountant would help you know what the data will be to catch it up to the point of the sale, and then how to treat the sale.

"The sale was brokered, and I was paid by the brokerage firm."

Then it seems you have a Gross Sales and a commission or broker fee expense.

"Should the invoice be made out to the brokerage firm" <== you Paid them

"or to the actual purchaser?" <== you Sold to them

"Other than a deposit of the money, what other transactions do I need to make to remove the aircraft from my books?"

Your accountant will help you with this part. Basically, you are removing basis and recapturing depreciation.

"By the way, there was a very small gain in asset value from the sale."

You might not have this correct, since the accounting is not complete.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
AllStar
2 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Qb community
Looking for advice from other business owners?

Visit our QuickBooks Community site.