cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sktierney
Level 1

Recording a wire fee

We have several customers who pay via wire transfer.  Their payment will come through, minus the wire fee, so if their invoice was $400, it would post as $380.  I had created a credit memo to offset the wire charge, but it's not debiting the Bank Fees Expense account.  How should I record the $20 wire fee if I've already recorded the payment (less the wire fee)?  Is there a journal entry I can make to have it charge the expense account?

Solved
Best answer October 15, 2018

Best Answers
Raywhite28
Level 7

Recording a wire fee

On the receive payments screen, receive the invoice in full.

On the make a deposit screen, after you've checked off the payments for deposit, on the next blank line enter in the account column bank charges & in the amount column enter the fee as a negative number. This will net the deposit.

View solution in original post

32 Comments 32
Raywhite28
Level 7

Recording a wire fee

On the receive payments screen, receive the invoice in full.

On the make a deposit screen, after you've checked off the payments for deposit, on the next blank line enter in the account column bank charges & in the amount column enter the fee as a negative number. This will net the deposit.

parts
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

So what do I do with ALL the $- bank fee lines for my customers?
qbteachmt
Level 15

Recording a wire fee

Your Customer didn't incur that cost; you did. You don't want this to show it Reduces the customer balance in lieu of their Full Payment. The customer paid in full and you incurred the cost, by accepting that as one of your payment methods.
parts
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

So what do I need to make the fees stop?
qbteachmt
Level 15

Recording a wire fee

Make the fees Stop? Find a payment processing merchant account provider that doesn't charge as much. Is that what you mean? I get free ACH through my bank.
parts
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

It's customers bank charging....it's not ours.
StevePatterson
Level 1

Recording a wire fee

How does this work when you try to match it with the bank transaction? I matched a wire payment with an invoice and it doesn't seem to let me change the amount received because it's linked to my bank fee
qbteachmt
Level 15

Recording a wire fee

"How does this work when you try to match it with the bank transaction? I matched a wire payment with an invoice and it doesn't seem to let me change the amount received because it's linked to my bank fee"

Make the entry for the Payment yourself, first. Process the receive payment for the full amount the customer paid. Not for the Net to Banking, because the customer didn't incur the fee. You incurred the fee.

The customer owes $200.

You process a Payment for $200.

You put this to Deposit, and on the next line, using negative, post the bank fee expense. Now you have a Total Net reduced deposit.

Now electronic banking can match that same total.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Recording a wire fee

"It's customers bank charging....it's not ours."

You need to decide if you want to accept payment like this or not. Then, you need to decide if you want to charge the customer a Processing Fee if they pay by wire. Some States allow you to charge the customer the fee for payment you process by credit card and some don't allow it. You consider your Rates, as well. Banking fees are part of overhead; if you are bleeding small amounts due to banking fees, you address that issue any number of ways that will resolve it for your operational needs.

Example: I got paid for a project, payment from Lichtenstein. The amounts were large, and the wire fee was a % and was large enough that I did not intend to Absorb it. But of course, I wanted to Keep Working with these people for their large US project. So, we discussed them moving funds to their own US bank account, first.

kbromby
Level 1

Recording a wire fee

Do you mean when you do your monthly bank reconcilliation?  I have never used the Make a deposit screen.  

Mike Tyler
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

To create a deposit:

1. Go to the Plus icon, then choose Bank Deposit
  2. In the Receive From column, select the customer's name.
  3. Pick Accounts Receivable in the Account column and enter the amount of the invoice. 
  4. From the second line, choose the customer's name in the Received From column.
  5. Enter Wire Fee expense in the Account column, then enter the amount in negative
  6. Click Save and Close (see screenshot 1).

To match the deposit to the invoice:

1. From the Plus icon, choose Receive Payment.
  2. In the Choose a customer field, pick the name of the customer. 
  3. Put check marks in the Invoice and the Deposit.
  4. Click Save and Close (see screenshot 2). 

Check out these articles for more details:

Mike Tyler
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

To create a deposit:

1. Go to the Plus icon, then choose Bank Deposit
  2. In the Receive From column, select the customer's name.
  3. Pick Accounts Receivable in the Account column and enter the amount of the invoice. 
  4. From the second line, choose the customer's name in the Received From column.
  5. Enter Wire Fee expense in the Account column, then enter the amount in negative
  6. Click Save and Close (see screenshot 1).

To match the deposit to the invoice:

1. From the Plus icon, choose Receive Payment.
  2. In the Choose a customer field, pick the name of the customer. 
  3. Put check marks in the Invoice and the Deposit.
  4. Click Save and Close (see screenshot 2). 

Check out these articles for more details:

qbteachmt
Level 15

Recording a wire fee

@Mike Tyler

You receive the payment in full; it's the Banking that gets the reduction. You don't jump to Deposit First, for AR; you use Receive Payment to apply to the open invoice(s). Make sure your payment flows to Undeposited Funds.

When you create the deposit, you select the UF to add to this deposit, and then the Negative on the manual entry doesn't need a name; it is not the Customer's fault you incur a banking fee. It is generically reducing the Banking, not the customer's activity, not the payment amount and not part of Sales.

Please see my attachment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recording a wire fee

I followed your steps and they worked great. Customer balance is showing accurately.

However, when I run the Open Invoices report, it shows up, even though there is no balance.  Do you have any advice?

Thanks

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Recording a wire fee

Thanks for joining this thread, officegal-BBLLC.

Allow me to step in and help provide some insights about the open invoices report in QuickBooks Online (QBO). 

When processing a bank deposit, possible that the payment doesn't link to an invoice that's why it still shows open on the report. 

To mark the invoice as closed, here's how: 

1. In the left tab menu, click Sales.
  2. Go to Customers.
  3. Double-click the customer's name that has an open invoice.
  4. Click New Transaction drop-down arrow.
  5. Choose Payments.
  6. Select the open invoice that shows on the Outstanding Transactions as well as the Unapplied Payment that shows on the Credit.  
  7. Click Save and Close

By processing these steps, this will link the invoice and payment that you record on the bank deposit.

For additional reference, you can check this article on how to link a deposit to an invoice

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have the tools to pull up your account and do a screen-share.

Here's how you can contact our customer support:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company.
  2. Select Help (question mark icon) at the top right.
  3. Select Contact us to connect with a live support agent.

This will get you on the right track. Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have additional questions about the invoice transaction. I'll be around to help you out.

sholeh
Level 1

Recording a wire fee

I have the same issue but when I followed your instruction my deposit was recorded twice .

I must be doing something wrong but I am not sure what?

JasroV
QuickBooks Team

Recording a wire fee

Hello, @sholeh,

It could be that you created a bank deposit while you already have an existing one. Let’s run a report to confirm if there are duplicate deposits.

Here’s how:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. On the search bar, type Deposit details.
  3. Click Customize.
  4. Under Customize report, select General and fill out the dates.
  5. Select Filter, and put a checkmark on the necessary information needed.
  6. Then click Run report.
  7. If you see two deposits for the same customer and amount, click the amount to open the transaction.
  8. Click More at the bottom and hit Delete.

If there are no duplicates, I’d like to confirm which set of instructions in the thread have you performed to help me further check on what happened and provide you a solution from there. I’d appreciate any details you can add.

If you have other questions, please feel free to leave a comment below. I’m always here to help. Have a great day!

Moneytalks
Level 3

Recording a wire fee

Hello, I hope this thread isn't too old for me to reply. I followed the instructions listed above for receiving a payment that had a wire transfer fee taken out. Everything seemed to work fine, but now I am reconciling the bank account, and it is out of reconciliation by $20. The bank statement shows the amount with the $20 taken out, but the reconciliation page shows the full amount. How do I correct the reconciliation without affecting anything else? Thanks!

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Recording a wire fee

Thank you for joining the thread and for the detailed information, @Moneytalks.

It's possible that the payment recorded doesn't include the deduction or the wire transfer fee of $20.00. Be sure that the amount you've input is the same amount received by the bank.

With this, I encourage looking over the payment entered. The amount that should post on your bank register shouldn't have the fee for reconciliation.

To include the wire transfer fee, add the amount in negative under the Add funds to this deposit section.

r35 2.PNG

r35 3.PNG

r35 4.PNG

r35 5.PNG

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm more than happy to help. Have a wonderful day!

Geoff54
Level 2

Recording a wire fee

I'm using Canadian Quickbooks online.  I followed the steps as noted to handle a wire transfer fee.  I apply payment in full for the invoice.  If I say deposit to A/R (USD) as I have a Canadian AR account and a US one as I do business in both countries, then the bank shows a payment transaction with the amount applied to my bank account.  When I then do the deposit transaction, it does not list the invoices for that customer, just the deposit amount against the bank.  I apply the gross to A/R and the fee to bank fees to net out the deposit.  I then have TWO deposits to the bank - the payment one and the deposit one.  If I don't put a deposit account on the payment transaction, the bank is right (only one deposit amount) but my customer account shows me with a negative balance on the account asking if I want to create an invoice to offset it.   Is this a problem with QuickBooks online OR  a problem with me using a 2nd AR account and what's explained only works for the primary one?   I will have this type of transaction with this client repeatedly.  s the solution to do a journal entry?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recording a wire fee

--- DELETED: duplicate post ---

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recording a wire fee

Hi @Raywhite28 and thank you for the detailed response!

In my case, I don't use "Receive Payments"--since my bank accounts are linked to QB, all inbound payments from customers are automatically assigned to "Accounts Receivable" and I use "Apply Credits" to apply payments to invoices. When the bank deducts a $30 wire transfer fee, all my invoices show overdue with a $30 balance. How do I remove the $30 balance from the invoice and record it as a wire transfer fee expense?

MadelynC

Recording a wire fee

Allow me to intervene, @Anonymous.

You can create an expense account for Bank Fees and then resolve the difference when matching the transaction from your Bank Feed.

This process is used if you received less than the due amount on the invoice, or it shows overdue with a balance because of Bank Fees.

If you don’t have an expense account yet, you can follow these steps. Otherwise, proceed to the second instruction below:

1. Go to Accounting from the left menu, then Chart of Accounts.
  2. Select New.
  3. Create an Expense account for Bank Charges, and name it Bank Fees.
  4. Press the Save and close

Once done, you can resolve the difference between the invoice and the payment when matching transactions from your Banking page. Here’s how:
Choose Banking.

1. Select Banking, then choose the bank account with the transaction.
  2. Locate and select the relevant transaction on the For Review tab.
  3. Select Find Match.
  4. In the Match transactions window, select the checkbox of the appropriate invoice.
  5. Select Resolve Difference to open the Add resolving transaction fields.
  6. Click Add new transaction.
  7. From the drop-down list in the Category field, select the Bank Fees expense account you created.
  8. Enter the Amount of the bank fee.
  9. Hit Save and close.

Another way also is to create a credit memo/delayed credit to reduce the balance on customer transactions. Please see this article for reference: Create and apply credit memos or delayed credits in QuickBooks Online.

I’ve also added a link that will guide you through on how to review and match them moving forward: Categorize and match online bank transactions in QuickBooks Online.

I’ll be here always if you have other concerns with QBO. Have a great day.

ccadigan001
Level 1

Recording a wire fee

Hi Ray,

These instructions worked well except when I add funds to the deposit for the bank fee, it will only allow me to assign a "class" to the transaction- not customer nor location. Any idea how I can associate the bank fee with these additional tags?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us