Refer to the steps below on how to properly install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale on your computer.
This article is part of our content on Setting up QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
- QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale system requirements
- Download QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
- Install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
- Resolve installation errors
- Activate QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Installation process
- First, you will need to download QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (if you have not already done so)
- Go to the location where QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale was saved when you downloaded (should be on your desktop), and double-click the QuickBooks Point of Sale executable file (ex. QBPOSv18.exe) to run the Point of Sale installation.
- Select Yes to All if prompted to overwrite the existing extracted files.
- Select Next to begin the installation.
- Read the Software License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement, then select Next.
- Enter your License and Product numbers and select Next.
- Select Next.
- Select the number of computers to be used for Point of Sale.
- Single User: Select Only this computer and follow the installation process.
- Multiple Users: Choose Two or more computers and select if it is the Server or Client workstation
- Server Workstation: A Server workstation is the first workstation to which QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale is installed. Server workstation creates and holds your company data.
- Client workstation: The client workstation is usually the cash register used to assist customers in their daily sales and has simultaneous access to the program.
Note: If you need to change the installation type of POS from server to workstation or vice versa, you have to uninstall and reinstall the program.
- Select Install to continue, or select Back if you need to go back and review any of the previous screens.
- You may need to restart your computer and then open QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to get started.
- After installation, activate QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale and you’re all set.