After completing a financial exchange, transactions are transferred from QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to QuickBooks Desktop multiple times. This may happen if you use the Recover feature, flag transactions for resending, or if you move your Point of Sale files to another computer that processes financial exchange.
To fix it:
Solution 1: Delete entries in QuickBooks Desktop
If using the Recover feature, or flagging individual transactions to be resent to QuickBooks Desktop causes duplication, you will need to delete those entries in QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Sync company and Point of Sale files in your computers
You may experience this issue if you back up your Point of sale files from a register computer, then restore it to your back office station that does end-of-day processes in QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: When a financial exchange takes place with QuickBooks Desktop in the back office, each transaction that is sent to QuickBooks Desktop has a Completed flag set in the Point of Sale data file. This occurs only in the back office file that has interfaced with QuickBooks Desktop. If, after the next day's sales, you back up your Point of Sale data on the register computer and restore it on the back office computer, all of the prior transactions goes to QuickBooks Desktop again during the Financial Exchange. This is because the Completed flags have never been set on the transactions in the register copy of the Point of Sale data.
- Back up your Point of Sale data file on the back office computer to your removable media.
- Restore this backup in the register copy of Point of Sale. The register copy of the data will then have all the Completed flags set properly. Only transactions recorded after this point will have the Not Posted flag set.
- At the end of the next business day, back up your Point of Sale data file on the register computer, then restore it on the back office computer.
- Perform the End of Day process. Only transactions that occurred after having restored the data on the register machine will transfer to QuickBooks Desktop.
- After the End of Day process, back up your Point of Sale data at the back office computer and restore it on the register computer. The register is now ready for the next day's business.
Important: If you have duplicate transactions in QuickBooks Desktop created prior to using the above solution, these will have to be deleted manually.