Your online Intuit payroll services will allow you to create paychecks:
- Select Workers from the left menu, then select Employees.
- Select Run payroll.
- A payroll reminder will also appear under Run payroll. It will change based on the pay date, or if you have multiple pay schedules, you will see the next date that the payroll is due. If direct deposit is active, cut off time is included
- The message for next payroll run will also update once all employees are paid or the paydate has passed.
- Select a pay schedule, then select Continue to proceed.
- Select the names of the employees you want to pay. Check if you have the correct pay period and check date.
- Enter the hours and amounts for the employees.
- If you're unable to see all pay types, resize or maximize your browser window.
- Select the Gear icon to show or hide pay types.
- Hourly, Salary and Commission pay types can't be hidden
- To remove it from Pay day, simply uncheck the pay type. The system will remember the settings on the next pay day until you change it.
- You can also add a memo on the memo field. The number of letters that will fit in the Memo field depends on the size and width of the printer font you're using. We recommend that you limit the number of letters to about 50.
Select Preview Payroll to continue or Save for Later to save your progress.
- You also have the ability to toggle between DD, paper check and Direct Deposit + check on the Payday screen. This is a one time change.
- Select Submit.
- Select Print Paycheck and Print Pay stubs before selecting Finish Payroll.
You have an option to auto-fill check numbers. To do so, enter the first number and select Auto-fill to complete the list. It will override any other numbers listed. This is only available in the payday flow
- Select Payday.
- Select a pay schedule if you have more than one.
- Enter in hours and amounts for employees.
If an employee doesn't appear on the first page in Create Paychecks:
- Mark the employee checkbox to deselect all employees.
- Select Continue at the lower-right corner of the screen to continue to the next page of employees.
- Select Create Paychecks.
- Confirm the paycheck amounts and the payment method.
Direct deposit checks:
- "Yes" will display in the Direct Deposit column if the checks will process as direct deposit.
- "No", in black text, means the employee is set up to receive a paycheck instead of direct deposit.
"No", in bold red text, means your employee is set up to be paid by direct deposit, but your payroll account is not yet active for direct deposit.
- Select Approve Paychecks.
Selecting Approve Paychecks also queues direct deposit checks for transmission from the originating bank (your bank) to the receiving bank (employee's bank). The actual transmission and processing of funds will not occur until 5:00 p.m. PT 2 business days before the pay date.
If 1 or more employees will receive a paper check, enter the check number(s), then select OK.
After selecting Finish Payroll or Approve Paychecks
- You will be able to Print Paychecks.
For direct deposit checks, an email is sent before the pay date confirming direct deposit checks have started to process. The total amount of direct deposit checks will be shown in the email. You may also view the Total Cost report (available on the Reports tab) to review your total direct deposit payroll amount.
Schedule payments in advance
Calculate your paychecks or approve payments using direct deposit in advance without extra charge.
When creating a direct deposit paycheck, you specify the pay date and the funds are withdrawn from your company's account the day before the pay date.
Example: September 25th paycheck
- Approve your September 25th paycheck anytime before 5 pm PT of September 21st (Friday).
- The funds will be withdrawn from your account on September 24th.
- The funds will be deposited on your employee's account on September 25th.
Error in submitting payroll in QuickBooks Online Payroll
When submitting a payroll, you get an error: "You have selected tax liability account on a transactions where it is not allowed or have not specified a tax rate.”
This happens if the accounting preferences was mapped incorrectly. To resolve:
- Check your Chart of Accounts. Note the accounts set up for payroll liabilities and payroll expenses.
- Go to Payroll accounting preferences and check if you have selected the correct accounts for each.
- Update accounts as needed.