Learn how to collaborate with clients using the features on the Work tab.
The Work tab and the Client request feature let you communicate with your clients from QuickBooks Online Accountant. You can also use this tab to share documents with your clients easily.
|Note You can use the Client Request feature only for clients with QuickBooks Online subscriptions.|
Create a client request
From the Work page, you can create a client request to ask a client to take some action, send or receive documents, to set due dates, or to provide additional information about your request.
From the left menu, under Your Practice, select Work.
On the Work dashboard, select Create client request.
- In the Create client request panel, enter a name for the request in the Request name field.
Select the appropriate client from the Client drop-down list.
You must enter a Request name and select a Client to activate the remaining fields in the panel.
Enter a Due date for the request.
- (Optional) Select a Status and enter any pertinent Details.
- Select Add document, select a document, and select Close to attach the document to the request.
- Select Notify client to send a QuickBooks-generated email to the client regarding the request.
You can preview the email before sending it to the client.
- Select Publish to client's QuickBooks.
If you did not select the Notify client option, the request is completed and posted.
- If you selected the Notify client option, enter the text of the email to send to the client in the Message field of the Publish to client's QuickBooks panel, and select Publish and send email to complete the request.
Your request is posted to your client's My Accountant page in their QuickBooks Online company file, and appears on your Work page and on the Client details page.
|Note For more information about the client's My Accountant tab in QuickBooks Online, see How to use the My Accountant tab|
Edit or update a client request
You can edit or update a client request to add comments or add or remove a document from the request.
To update a client request:
From the left menu, select Work.
On the Work dashboard, select the appropriate client request.
- In the Edit client request panel, optionally select Notify client to send any unsent email notifications to the client, or update the entries in the Due date or Status fields.
- Under Documents, select Add document to attach a document to the request, or, for an existing document, select Download, Remove from request, or Delete to manage the document.
- Under Comments, enter any comments, response, or instructions for the client request.
The request is updated as you specified.
Retrieve shared documents
When a client shares a document with you, the document is posted to the Shared documents tab of the Client details page and on the associated request card available from the Work tab.
To retrieve a shared document:
From the left menu, select Clients.
- From the Client list, select the name of the client to open the Client details page.
- Select the Shared documents tab.
- Locate the document in the Shared documents list.
- From the Actions column drop-down menu, select Download to download the document.
Alternatively, select the request name link in the Request column to open the Edit client request panel to view or update the original request, or download an associated document.
These changes are reflected on the Work tab.