Set up multi-user in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to allow multiple users access the same company file.
QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale multi-user setup
Server is ideally the fastest computer in a network. It holds the company file and allows multi user access for up to 19 client workstations.
ONLY the QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale server can do the following:
Client Workstation is any networked workstation with Point of Sale that is not a server. It is usually the cash register that records daily transactions.
Set up Multi User for Point of Sale
Step 1: Set up folder permissions
- On your server, right-click the folder where your company file is saved and select Properties.
Location: C:Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of SaleXX\Data
- Click the Sharing tab.
- Click Advanced Sharing, then select Share this folder.
- Select Permissions, then click Add.
- Type in QBPOSdbsrvuser, then click OK.
- Click to select QBPOSdbsrvuser, then select Full Control.
Note: Make sure the permission of Everyone and Services user group are set to Full Control.
- Click Apply, then OK.
Step 2: Configure Windows firewall
Step 3: Switch the server to Multi User Mode
Step 4: (Optional) Configure the Workstation number
- From the File menu, click Preferences, then select Workstation.
- Select General, then type the workstation number in the Please enter the number for this workstation field.
- Click Save.