Practice Management is a feature in QuickBooks Online Accountant designed to help you log and track your work and your team’s work. Under the Work tab you can create projects and tasks to represent your work and your team’s work as well as requests for your clients to fulfill.
Add new work to the dashboard
To add new work:
- Select Create client request and Create project to enter your upcoming work into QuickBooks.
- A Client Request is sent directly to your client's QuickBooks, appearing in their My Accountant tab. (See How to use the My Accountant tab for more information.) You can ask your client to enter data, provide information, or send you a document. (See Collaborate with clients using the Work tab for more information about collaborating with your client.)
- Only you and your team can create a Project. Use it to represent a hefty body of work, like year-end taxes, and then break it up by adding individual tasks to track each task you need to do to complete it. (To learn more, see How to schedule and track your work with projects and tasks.)
- When you select either Client Request or Project, a panel opens where you can enter details. Choose a client that the work is for, and—in the case of a project—assign it to a team member.
- When your project or request is ready, select Save. Now you can view and track it on the Work tab.
Track projects and requests
- By default, the Work tab displays in gridview, which shows tasks, projects, and requests as individual tiles arranged by due date.
- You can see a column for work due today (including overdue work), as well as columns for work due this week, next week, or within 30 days.
- Previously completed items, overdue items more than 90 days old, or items due more than 30 days in the future can only be seen in list view.
- In grid view, you can edit a project’s due date, the person it’s assigned to, and its completion status directly on the project’s tile. To edit everything else, select the tile.
- You cannot modify client requests on the tile, however. To do that, select the tile to bring up the edit panel.
Use the list view
- Below Create project is a pair of icons that allow you to switch between view types. Select the icon that resembles a bulleted list to see your work presented in list view.
- List view displays every open project, task, and request you have.
- Select Show done items to see work that you've completed.
- Select an item’s line in the list to edit it.
Filter the Work dashboard
At the top of the Practice Management page are three dropdowns. Use them to filter the items on the page. You can set these filters to show you the following:
- Work for a particular client
- Work assigned to a particular team member
- Items of a specific type such as project, request, or task
- The status of the work (this filter is exclusive to List view)
- Due Date (this filter is exclusive to List view)
Use the From QuickBooks switch
In grid view, there is a From QuickBooks switch. When this is enabled, Practice Management also shows some tasks you might need to complete based on information in your client's QuickBooks company. It shows you a tile when one of your clients has any of the following:
- Upcoming payroll that needs to be run
- Bank transactions that need to be categorized
These tiles behave differently from projects or requests. They disappear when completed and can't be seen at all in list view.
Duplicate projects and their tasks
Duplicate projects can help expedite work:
- Make a copy of an existing project and use it as a template to quickly create new work items.
- This also duplicates the tasks underneath that project, which you can remove or edit as necessary.
To learn more about duplicating projects, see How to schedule and track your work with projects and tasks .
Set projects to repeat
Use the Repeat function to save time creating projects you do on a regular basis
See How to schedule and track your work with projects and tasks to learn more.
Access and Permissions
- Although any member of your firm can access the Work tab, they can only see items for clients that they were granted access to through the Team tab.
- As long as a user has access to a client, they also have the full ability to edit any work items for that client.
Feedback and feature requests
Practice Management is still a very new feature with plenty of room for changes and additions. We would love to hear your thoughts.
To send us feedback on Practice Management:
- Go to the Gear icon in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- Select Feedback.
- Enter the feature, change, or fix you'd like to see.
We'll use your input to shape the future of Practice Management to serve you and your clients better.
Now you know how to get started with Practice Management.