You can enter transactions directly into any bank register in QuickBooks Online. This is helpful if you have a large number of historical transactions that need to be entered. Historical transactions are entered the same way as current transactions; just make sure the date is correct on the entry.
Enter transactions in a bank register
- From the left menu, select Accounting, then Chart of Accounts.
- Find the appropriate account, then select View register (or Account history).
Note: By default, the register will sort from newest to oldest.
- In the top left, under the Date, select Add cheque (or select the drop-down to choose another transaction type).
- Enter the transaction date, then fill in the remaining fields.
Tip: Press Tab on your keyboard to move to the next text fields.
- Select Save.
Enter transactions with Paper Ledger Mode
Paper Ledger Mode is more in line with a cheque book register.
- Turn on Paper Ledger Mode:
- In bank account register, select Gear in the upper right.
- Select Paper Ledger Mode.
- Select Add cheque (or select the drop-down to choose another transaction type).
- Fill in the required fields, then select Save.
Want to be more detailed with your transactions?
For more detailed receivables, payables, income, and expense reporting, enter your transactions with the following forms:
It takes a little longer than directly entering into your bank register, but taking that time creates a more accurate reporting for your company. That said, the direct-to-register method can still help you maintain accurate Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet reports.