Learn how to write off invoices that you determine to be uncollectible.
The Write Off Invoices tool is ideal for writing off bad debt in the current period. To write off an invoice in a closed period, check out How to write off bad debt.
|Note: Only Accountant users can write off invoices determined to be uncollectible.|
Using the Write Off Invoices Tool
To write off invoices using the Write Off Invoices tool:
- From the Accountant Toolbelt, select the Accountant Tools (briefcase) icon.
- From the Accountant Tools drop-down list, select Write Off Invoices.
- Set the criteria for invoices to write off using the drop-down lists in the Age, Transaction Date, or Balance Due less than fields.
- Select the checkboxes of the invoices to write off.
- Select the correct account from the Write-Off Account drop-down list (the default account is Bad Debt).
- Select Preview and Write Off.
- Review the results of the write-off and select Write-Off to complete the process. If the results are incorrect, select Cancel.
A discount is applied to the selected invoices that posts to the account selected from the Write-Off Account drop-down list.